unable to sign kernel modules

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
eelstrebor1
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 10

unable to sign kernel modules

Post by eelstrebor1 »

I'm unable to launch virtualbox on ubuntu 18.04 after enabling uefi. The error message says that I need to sign the kernel modules vbox*.ko but the only module that I can find on my system is vboxvideo.ko. How am I suppose to sign the kernel modules if they don't exist (i.e. vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci)?
I don't respond to people over petty issues.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: unable to sign kernel modules

Post by socratis »

Where did you get your VirtualBox from? If you used the Ubuntu repositories, that's an Ubuntu-fork. Completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
eelstrebor1

Post by eelstrebor1 »

I have a PPA setup in /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb [arch=amd64] http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bionic contrib
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Can you completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge whatever you have installed, and then download the stand-alone Bionic package from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox? Try installing that, bypassing the PPA.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
eelstrebor1

Post by eelstrebor1 »

No difference.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

What does that mean? You didn't get the modules? You had issues during the installation? Other?

Please get out of Twitter-mode and start expanding on your replies. We can't be guessing on what the "No difference" means...
eelstrebor1

Post by eelstrebor1 »

Never mind. If you're going to be hostile then I'm going to see if I can get vmware working. Besides, I think I've explained my issue sufficiently. Goodbye.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hostile??? That's what ... "hostile" is to you? Asking you to expand on an unclear statement?
By Toutatis, are all the sensitiv-o-meters broken these days? :shock: