The network operation failed with the following ERROR: During network request: Unknown reason.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Ebony-angel

The network operation failed with the following ERROR: During network request: Unknown reason.

Post by Ebony-angel »

On my Linux Mageia 7, I have a VM with Windows 7 Home Basic 64-bit SP1. Currently runs Guest Additions 5.2.32r132073.

When I try to download a more updated version of Guest Additions (to support OpenGL and Direct3) I receive the following message:
The network operation failed with the following error:
During network request: Unknown reason.
What is the reason and how can I fix it?

(Updated to add "of Guest Additions")
Last edited by Ebony-angel on 29. Nov 2019, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: The network operation failed with the following ERROR: During network request: Unknown reason.

Post by scottgus1 »

Ebony-angel wrote:When I try to download a more updated version
If this refers to updating Virtualbox, and you are downloading from your Linux distro's repository, then unfortunately you'd have to ask them.

If you are trying to install from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads, then maybe the website is having a slowdown? Try a complete host PC reboot and try the download again.
Ebony-angel

Re: The network operation failed with the following ERROR: During network request: Unknown reason.

Post by Ebony-angel »

Sorry if, due to my basic english, I did not make it clear what I intended to update.

I intend to update the Guest Additions.

I try it in Windows 7 VM, with Devices menu / Insert CD image.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Googling "The network operation failed with the following error: During network request: Unknown reason" brings up this: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/61586, indicating you might be using your Linux distro's version of Virtualbox. (apparently the Guest Additions ISO hasn't been downloaded from the distro yet?)

Distros fork Virtualbox with possible changes, and we don't know what they changed. We can only support Virtualbox installed from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads. The official Virtualbox comes with the GAs ISO built-in.
anylocalserver

Post by anylocalserver »

Got this error when I clicked VirtualBox → Check for Updates on 5.2 running on Mac OS X. Turns out, this could be because 5.2 is now discontinued, according to the official Downloads page:
Please also use version 5.2 if you still need support for 32-bit hosts, as this has been discontinued in 6.0. Version 5.2 will remain supported until July 2020.
Manually downloading and installing 6.0 has fixed this.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

anylocalserver wrote:5.2 is now discontinued
It's more like 32-bit host OS support in 6.0.x & later is discontinued. 5.2.44 for 32-bit hosts is still available and was released July 2020.