[HowTo] VM in FullScreen mode stick in the visible workspace in GNOME3

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
CW4vFH

[HowTo] VM in FullScreen mode stick in the visible workspace in GNOME3

Post by CW4vFH »

Hi,

I'm running the GNOME 3.34 desktop.

There is any way to let the VirtualBox in full screen mode stay in the visible workspace?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VM in FullScreen mode stick in the visible workspace in GNOME3

Post by scottgus1 »

Not sure what you mean. Full-screen should be take up the full screen. Please explain what you mean by a "visible workspace".
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

CW4vFH wrote:I'm running the GNOME 3.34 desktop.
No, you're running a Linux distro (which one?) that uses GNOME as its desktop...

Please be precise in your reports if you want help. We can't possibly know what your problem is, *you* are sitting in front of the computer. The rest of us are relying on your accurate description to understand what's going on. So, if you're not accurate, we can't know what's going on.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CW4vFH

Post by CW4vFH »

Very sorry for the vague description.

I'm using Fedora 31 with Gnome 3.34.

If you're using or you has a Linux desktop with Gnome, just open an application, then click right button of the mouse on the panel of the application, a menu contains 'Always on Visible Workspace' should be appeared, if not please try other applications.

I mean when the guest stay in a full-screen or seamless mode, then how can I keep the gust stay on visible?

Now the fact is when the guest stay in a full-screen (or seamless, not try it) mode, if I switch to one of other workspaces, the guest OS just disappeared. If I want to see what's happening in the gust OS, I must switch to it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

According to https://help.gnome.org/users/gnome-help ... es.html.en, 'workspaces' are apparently like multiple monitors, but you could see only one at a time. A window marked ''Always on visible workspace would apparently always show on whatever 'workspace' is showing.

The defining point would probably be the need for a window. Full-screen doesn't have a window, so no 'Always on visible workspace'. A maximized guest window might follow the 'Always on Visible Workspace'.
CW4vFH

Post by CW4vFH »

Ok, get it.

I'll post this question to a Gnome forum too and dig how to resolve this issue.
CW4vFH

Post by CW4vFH »

Hi,

Here is my solution:
1. install devilspie2
2. create a file ended with '.lua' in ~/.config/devilspie2, and add the below lines:

Code: Select all

if string.find(get_window_name(), "VirtualBox") then
        pin_window()
end
See also:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/4240/ho ... workspaces
http://www.nongnu.org/devilspie2/
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [HowTo] VM in FullScreen mode stick in the visible workspace in GNOME3

Post by socratis »

Even though it's not really a VirtualBox issue, thank you 'CW4vFH' the solution, hope someone finds it useful in the future. Marking as [HowTo].

PS. I had to change slightly the title of the thread from:
  • "How to let the VirtualBox in full screen mode stay in the visible workspace in GNOME 3"
to
  • "VM in FullScreen mode stick in the visible workspace in GNOME3"
just so I can fit the "[HowTo]" in there... ;)

PPS. Just to add another point, on OSX if you take a VM FullScreen, it gets its own workspace, there's no way to have it always visible. You could though maximize the VM window and make it sticky...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.