[Resolved] VirtualBox guest additions failing at 100%

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
novicefedora

[Resolved] VirtualBox guest additions failing at 100%

Post by novicefedora »

I'm running latest version VirtualBox 6 on Fedora 29, I've install it using DNFDragon, and I can see that this version's guest additions are also installed. I've added a Linux Mint guest to it, I'm using VirtualBox to insert guest additions cd image into the Linux Mint, when I do this I'm shown this: "Could not find the VirtualBox Guest Additions disk image file. Do you wish to download this disk image file from the Internet?"

When I click download button, it starts downloading the file, at 100%, it says the download encountered an error, and I'm given an option to cancel it or re-download it.

Is there a way to solve this problem. Thanks
Last edited by socratis on 17. Nov 2019, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox guest additions failing at 100%

Post by mpack »

This doesn't sound like a standard VirtualBox install, since a standard install doesn't require people to download the GAs CD - it comes bundled.

Also, the method of handling the download error would very much depend on the error message. However I'll bet that the download error and the non-standard install are related, e.g. the excutables have been installed manually to a tiny and/or write protected medium.

As a test I'd say to download the GAs ISO manually.
novicefedora

Post by novicefedora »

That is the normal way of installing VirtualBox on Fedora 29. My home and root have around 25GB of free space, so I don't that is, and I can't install anything without having root access. Is this problem on host or guest? Like does the guest little space, so it cannot be downloaded?
Last edited by socratis on 15. Nov 2019, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

From your description the download sounds like it happens on the host (*). I can't say for sure since I've never used a version of VirtualBox where a download of the GAs ISO was necessary: it comes bundled as I mentioned before. On the rare occasion where I've wanted to use non-standard GAs (say, a test build) then I downloaded it using a host browser like any other ISO.

(*) As a general principle, media files intended to be mounted in VM virtual drives must be located on the host.

I'm not familiar with Fedora and its special needs, nor with DNFDragon. So with that said, the normal way to install VirtualBox is using the installer provided for the appropriate distro on the Linux Downloads page.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It looks like you're using the Fedora-fork version of VirtualBox. You can either ask in their forums/channels for help, or completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.

You can even add VirtualBox as a repository, so you could use your traditional install/upgrade/uninstall tools.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
novicefedora

Post by novicefedora »

I did try installing it from the *.rpm downloaded from that Linux section you both mentioned, but every time I ran that file I was getting an error that it has bad GPG signature and it stopped installing.

The one I have installed is not a Fedora fork, it downloaded from RPM Fusion.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

novicefedora wrote:The one I have installed is not a Fedora fork, it downloaded from RPM Fusion.
Then it's an RPMFusion fork, same deal to us. Post the output of the command:
  • 
    VBoxManage -version
If you see something like "a.b.c_RPMFusion", that's a fork.
novicefedora wrote:but every time I ran that file I was getting an error that it has bad GPG signature and it stopped installing.
Can we see the complete input/output of that installation attempt? That is, both the command and the error...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
novicefedora

Post by novicefedora »

This is the version number: "6.0.14_RPMFusionr132055"

Anyway I uninstalled this and installed it from the links you mentioned. Earlier problem seemed to be resolved. I don't know why it showed bad GPG signature error earlier.

But now I'm facing a different problem. I'm able to change the resolution of the guest OS manually, but the guest OS is not automatically adapting it resolution to the maximization of it's window.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

novicefedora wrote:This is the version number: "6.0.14_RPMFusionr132055"
Yeah, that's a fork alright... ;)
novicefedora wrote:Earlier problem seemed to be resolved. I don't know why it showed bad GPG signature error earlier.
A bad/corrupted download maybe? In any event, since things are back to normal, I'm marking the thread as [Resolved].
novicefedora wrote:But now I'm facing a different problem
According to the The Forum Posting Guide » One issue, one thread, please open a new thread with a matching title.