Blank window when starting VirtualBox

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
rayzorben

Blank window when starting VirtualBox

Post by rayzorben »

Fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS. Installed VirtualBox from virtualbox PPA.

Code: Select all

apt policy virtualbox-6.0
virtualbox-6.0:
  Installed: 6.0.14-133895~Ubuntu~bionic
  Candidate: 6.0.14-133895~Ubuntu~bionic
  Version table:
 *** 6.0.14-133895~Ubuntu~bionic 500
        500 ... Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
When running virtualbox I get a blank/garbled window. The window hangs for ~2 minutes before closing. When running from terminal I get the following after a long list of QPainter warnings:

Qt WARNING: The X11 connection broke: Maximum allowed requested length exceeded (code 4)
XIO:  fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server ":1"
      after 535 requests (535 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
I was running Linux Mint 19.2 earlier and also had this error but didn't really spend the time to diagnose it.

I saw a similar post where somebody unplugged their HDMI cable, but I do not have an HDMI cable nor a second monitor.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Blank window when starting VirtualBox

Post by scottgus1 »

I'm going to guess that this:
virtualbox-6.0:
  Installed: 6.0.14-133895~Ubuntu~bionic
means you're running the Ubuntu fork of Virtualbox. Forked distributions may have changes that alter Virtualbox enough so we don't know what's going on. While your problem may be Virtualbox-related, you should uninstall the forked version and get the official version from www.virtualbox.org.
rayzorben wrote:When running virtualbox I get a blank/garbled window.
Does this mean, when you're trying to open the main Virtualbox window? Or when you're trying to run a guest?

After the above, if you have an issue, zip and post a guest log using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
rayzorben

Post by rayzorben »

No, I said I installed from virtualbox p p a. Because my account is new, it won't let me post the link, but the link clearly points to the virtualbox ppa distro

And when I navigate to the virtualbox page the version matches what I have installed.

It happens when I start virtualbox client itself, not a guest. I can't even create a virtual machine.
rayzorben

Post by rayzorben »

I have no guest log since I can't even open the main program.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

scottgus1 wrote:means you're running the Ubuntu fork of VirtualBox
Not quite. The Linux distributions have the distro-name built-in the filename. E.g. http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualb ... _amd64.deb. That's what the OP used, that's what I'm using in my Mint19 host.
rayzorben wrote:I was running Linux Mint 19.2 earlier and also had this error
What are you doing and having problems here? I have a Mint19 and never had that, and I know for certain of at least one developer that's on Mint19 as well. And remember that Mint19 ~= Ubuntu1804.

What's the version of Qt on your host? Can you try the "All Distributions" option, the last one of the bunch? Just uninstall whatever you have now and install that one, which has no Qt system dependencies.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

socratis wrote:Not quite.
Just when I thought I had it... :lol:
rayzorben

Post by rayzorben »

Well, I thought it was working. But at least I am a step closer.

I had uninstalled a kernel just prior to installing virtualbox-6.0 directly from the website with

dpkg -i virtualbox...deb
Well it worked, and I created a Windows 10 machine. But after installing the additions, I would get weird UI artifacts, a lot of flickering, etc.. After researching I realized that when reverting my kernel, the nvidia drivers were no longer running.

So I reinstalled nvidia-430, but then virtualbox stopped working again, same behaviors.

So possibly it is something with nvidia-430 ??
rayzorben

Post by rayzorben »

socratis wrote:Can you try the "All Distributions" option, the last one of the bunch? Just uninstall whatever you have now and install that one, which has no Qt system dependencies.
Same issue when I install it from 'All distributions'.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

rayzorben wrote:So possibly it is something with nvidia-430 ??
Sounds like it. Can you experiment by updating them or downgrading them?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.