Mouse broken on Arch with Windows 10 Guest (#19043)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
C0rtex

Mouse broken on Arch with Windows 10 Guest (#19043)

Post by C0rtex »

ModEdit; related ticket: #19043: usbutils 012 breaks mouse on Linux
On Arch Linux (5.3.7-arch1-1-ARCH), recent as of 2019/10/23 mouse behaviour is broken with windows 10 guest. First mouse click in the guest (onto any icon, however not at the background image) introduces this behaviour. Afterwards mouse clicks in guest and host system are not properly recognized anymore (on guest, GNOME seams to work correctly, however firefox, chromium, VirtualBox Manager and others don't). Keyboard function is correct. As soon as the guest is powered off, mouse behaviour is normal in the host. Restarting the guest however does not give mouse control back (not even intermittently).

Changing mouse settings from PS/2 to tablet mode does not change the behaviour.

I could temporally solve the error by downgrading usbutils to 010 (from 012). However, after some time (1-2 h) the error re-occurs and is afterwards again constantly present. The behavior seems to be highly erratic.

The log of the session is attached.

A bug report is filed as ticket #19043
Attachments
Windows10-2019-10-23-09-48-58.zip
Log File
(29.3 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Nov 2019, 18:23, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mouse broken on Arch with Windows 10 Guest

Post by socratis »

Please edit your message and delete the two-part-logs. Then find the original log on your Host, ZIP it and attach that. It helps you, it helps us, it helps the server, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
C0rtex

Post by C0rtex »

Thank you for the suggestion. I now did so.
C0rtex

Post by C0rtex »

Ok, finally I could track the problem down to an error in the combination between the wayland session and Virtualbox.

Deactivating wayland for the session manager solves the problem.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Mouse broken on Arch with Windows 10 Guest (#19043)

Post by socratis »

C0rtex wrote:error in the combination between the wayland session and Virtualbox
A quick search for "wayland" in the BugTracker (https://www.virtualbox.org/query?description=%7Ewayland) doesn't reveal anything related.

It's been quite sometime that the developers have chosen to avoid Wayland for the moment, consciously. In fact they've even turned off 3D acceleration for Wayland for quite some time now. Just giving you another perspective on the issue...

https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18116#comment:2
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17739#comment:2
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=89904
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
C0rtex

Post by C0rtex »

There are other reports of similar behaviour:
https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/4261

Also there, Arch Linux is mentioned as the distro causing problems. I would speculate that a recent version of Wayland/xwayland - in combination wit VirtualBox - is causing the problem. Arch Linux is especially prone since it typically is on the most recent versions as compared to other distros.

On the long run, VirtualBox should try to be compatible with what is expected to be/already is the standard: Wayland.

In the moment, however, the problem can be "solved" by deactivating Wayland. And a solution for the moment is what I needed.
Thanks for your help!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

C0rtex wrote:VirtualBox should try to be compatible with what is expected to be/already is the standard: Wayland.
I'm not quite sure I agree with you on this Wayland thingy, but this is not the place for a Wayland vs. Oldland discussion. ;)

I'll leave the thread unmarked, until the developers figure out what the resolution of the ticket should be...

BTW, I asked you a question in the ticket, would you mind answering it? Should I change the title from "usbutils 012 breaks mouse on Linux" to something like "xwayland breaks mouse behavior" or something similar?

If you could edit the ticket's title, what would you change it to?
C0rtex

Post by C0rtex »

I am sorry, didn't see you question.

Indeed, the title of the bug report should better be changed to:
"xwayland breaks mouse behavior"

BTW, in the end I don't mind whether wayland of Xorg is better as log as it just works for me (both in general do). But a lot of distros are making wayland the standard now...
tech101us

Post by tech101us »

Is there any updates regarding this issue? Are Windows Guests on DE's running Wayland (XWayland) just going to remain broken? Or are the Oracle Virtualbox Devs aware of this and planning to release a fix? Best as I can tell, based on the behavior I'm seeing, is the Guest Window can never gain focus. Focus is always retained by the Host OS DE.

Thanks in advance....