5.1 Surround with Windows guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
timolric

5.1 Surround with Windows guest

Post by timolric »

Dear Forum!

I would like to use the new surround feature on Virtualbox 6. Unfortunately, pulseaudio on the host keeps showing VirtualBox as only two channels. On the Windows guest, the output is configured as 5.1. Is surround already supposed to work? How can I manage to use it?

I use Virtualbox 6.0.12, Ubuntu GNU 19.10 and Windows 10 Version 1903.

Thank you, best wishes,

Timo
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 5.1 Surround with Windows guest

Post by socratis »

timolric wrote:pulseaudio on the host keeps showing VirtualBox as only two channels
Can you please explain that part?
timolric wrote:Is surround already supposed to work?
If your host has such capabilities, it should. But mine for example which has stereo capabilities, even if I configure the Win10 guest to be a 5.1 surround, I can only hear the front-left and front-right speakers, makes sense, no? I can't "invent" something out of thin air...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
timolric

Post by timolric »

My host does support 5.1. Virtualbox on Ubuntu has troubles.
Image (https://imgur.com/ZV3u0K0.png)

On the right you see pavucontrol where VLC provides 5 channels and Virtualbox only 2. How can I use a 5 channel output from Virtualbox please? :)
timolric

Post by timolric »

Any idea what is happening with 5.1 on Virtualbox?