Error VERR_SVM_IN_USE

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Error VERR_SVM_IN_USE

Post by scottgus1 »

bahamut00 wrote:I have tried blacklisting the KVM modules with no success. I do not plan to recompile the Linux kernel by myself
Since the Virtualbox error says both are required, then...
bahamut00 wrote:This decision seems to make obsolete my hardware configuration...
However:

Kudos to fth0 for figuring out the motherboard BIOS may have had a bug!
bahamut00 wrote:I succeeded to update my BIOS....because my PROBLEM is SOLVED!
Good that this worked. Glad you're up and running!
Stevan White

Post by Stevan White »

Hello: anybody involved in VirtualBox development!

This message
VirtualBox can't enable the AMD-V extension. Please disable the KVM kernel extension, recompile your kernel and reboot (VERR_SVM_IN_USE).
really needs improvement.

This error is easily produced when another emulator is running on the system. For instance, I had an Android emulator running... and just didn't think about it.
I lost some time -- not the first time -- trying to imagine what had happened to my kernel -- was it the latest update?

In my case, the only clue that it might have to do with the other emulator was the static variable name VERR_SVM_IN_USE. The text was totally misleading.

PLEASE say something in the error message text, to direct the user to look for other emulators!
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Almost all of us here are just users of Virtualbox as you are and not invoved in Virtualbox development.
Your Android emulator seems to be using KVM as technology, leading to Virtualbox detecting this and telling you correctly "please disable the KVM kernel extension".
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Stevan White, also please keep in mind that the error you question might arise from other sources besides the source that you found. The host OS may not permit too much more digging by Virtualbox to find the existing user of SVM, or the user of SVM may not be identifiable at all. Tune an error message too much and other causes get missed.

The error may be too tuned already. You may suggest a different wording on the Bugtracker.