problem accessing USB port

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ulrich11

problem accessing USB port

Post by ulrich11 »

On Ubuntu 18.04 I installed
virtualbox-6.0_6.0.10-132072_Ubuntu_bionic_amd64.deb
and
Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-6.0.10-132072.vbox-extpack.
I also installed Windows 10 in the VM.

Wen I click Windows -> Settings -> USB, I see "Enable USB Controller", but in light grey, i.e. unclickable.

So how can I activate USB?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: problem accessing USB port

Post by socratis »

ulrich11 wrote:I see "Enable USB Controller", but in light grey, i.e. unclickable.
That means that the VM is running, paused or in saved state. In order to change the hardware the VM needs to be completely shut down. You wouldn't change the hardware on your physical computer while the computer was running, would you?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ulrich11

Post by ulrich11 »

You wouldn't change the hardware on your physical computer while the computer was running, would you?
Yes, you are right, stupid me.
I was now able to activate USB (tried USB 2.0 and 3.0) but with File Explorer ->This PC, I see the Local Disk (C:) and two CD-Drives (D: and E:), but no USB-stick.
So, how do I access the stick? (It is seen from UBUNTU, but not mounted.)

Help a poor Windows dummy!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.

If you don't need direct access to the USB, but just access to its files, consider the VirtualBox Shared Folders option instead...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.