V 6.0.10 install on Ubuntu 16.04 broke Virtualbox entirely

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
RadlyEel

V 6.0.10 install on Ubuntu 16.04 broke Virtualbox entirely

Post by RadlyEel »

Today I tried to install 6.0.10 on my Ubuntu 16.04 host. The install itself seemed to run normally, but the first time I tried to Start a newly defined guest, I received this error:
RTR3InitEx failed with rc=-1912 (rc=-1912)
The VirtualBox kernel modules do not match this version of VirtualBox. The installation of VirtualBox was apparently not successful. Executing
'/sbin/vboxconfig'
may correct this. Make sure that you are not mixing builds of VirtualBox from different sources.
where: supR3HardenedMainInitRuntime what: 4 VERR_VM_DRIVER_VERSION_MISMATCH (-1912) - The installed support driver doesn't match the version of the user.
Running the suggested /sbin/vboxconfig accomplished nothing--I still get the error.
The installation procedure I followed is found here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

But what is REALLY disturbing is that after uninstalling 6.0.10 and re-installing 5.2, I get the same error. Which means I can't use Virtualbox any more on this host.

I'm willing to live with 5.2; can someone point me in the direction of getting either version to work?
Last edited by socratis on 20. Aug 2019, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: V 6.0.10 install on Ubuntu 16.04 broke Virtualbox entirely

Post by socratis »

RadlyEel wrote:Make sure that you are not mixing builds of VirtualBox from different sources.
That's your problem. It seems that you have installed both the official version from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads *and* the one from the Ubuntu repository. You need to completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge their version. Actually, purge everything VBox* and VirtualB* and try to install the official version again.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.