Using a network adapter for virtualbox and machines?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
MrMegab

Using a network adapter for virtualbox and machines?

Post by MrMegab »

So I currently have a single USB adapter - Netgear A6210 - and this is used by my host machine, however I want to use this adapter for my virtual machines (a kali linux machine to be exact) as well as it being used for VirtualBox as the ethernet thing. Is this possible or will I have to wait until my new USB adapter comes and then use that adapter for the virtual machines and then my current adapter for my host and virtualbox. I think I've explained it quite badly but don't know how else to word it haha

Thanks in advance
Rootman

Re: Using a network adapter for virtualbox and machines?

Post by Rootman »

Yes, you can ue the same adapter for your host and guests, in fact I would imagine this is the typical situation for most VB users. Virtualbox does this automatically for you. VB will bind the VMs NICs to the only NIC in the system.

Adding a second NIC has advantages and certainly frees up the bandwidth on the host PCs NIC. When you add the second NIC edit the VM's configuration and bind it to the second NIC. I've done this many times. I've also used an ethernet and wifi NIC to do the same.