Bridged networking problem | no ip address

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Galois

Bridged networking problem | no ip address

Post by Galois »

Hi all,

I have a networking issue. My guests doesn't receive an IP address in bridged mode (over wifi). I'll show my logs

My Host: Kubuntu 18.04, kernel: 4.18.0-25-generic
Tested on VirtualBox 6.0.10r132072 and 5.2.18. (Of course, i had done a clean install before I've tested it )
Guests and tested in:
Windows 10 1903 (OS Build 18362.239)
Windows 7 7601
CentOS 7 3.10.0-957.21.3.el7.x86_64
Debian 10 4.19.0-5-amd64
And several BDS'

Last update: What did I discover? If I am connected to a 5 MHZ Wi-Fi, I don't receive any ip address. But I'll receive an ip address, if i am connected to 2.5 MHZ Wifi. Nat works well.

Hope you can help.

Regards,
Attachments
VBox.tar.gz
Logs
(30.05 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridged networking problem | no ip address

Post by socratis »

Galois wrote:If I am connected to a 5 MHZ Wi-Fi, I don't receive any ip address. But I'll receive an ip address, if i am connected to 2.5 MHZ Wifi.
Then stick with that. Easy... ;)

Bridged over WiFi doesn't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WiFi specification. It may or may not work. If it works on some of them, it's because the manufacturer chose to ignore the specification. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.