Fresh install and cant find the primary interface

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
sijoluja

Fresh install and cant find the primary interface

Post by sijoluja »

Hello people,

I am going crazy... I just installed Mint, added the Guest edition and downloaded vim.
When I try to manually configure my network, I can't seem to find my Primary Network interface.

ifconfig: https://imgur.com/r1rvNzd
Interfaces: https://imgur.com/DPHjDqS

Please any help is appreciated.

P.S This is my network settings in Virtual Box. I have only 1 active network card: https://imgur.com/1Qth5K1
I am in the process in learning Linux, so please don't be too harsh on me!
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Fresh install and cant find the primary interface

Post by andyp73 »

Please don't post images to third party sites, most people won't go there instead they are likely to just move on to other issues. You should use the "Upload Attachment" button to embed them into your post.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
sijoluja

Post by sijoluja »

Pictures attached
Attachments
Network cards
Network cards
3.png (10.61 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
List of interfaces
List of interfaces
2.png (58.3 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
Ifconfig
Ifconfig
1.png (112.68 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

sijoluja wrote:added the Guest edition
Slight correction; "Guest Additions", or GAs for short... ;)
sijoluja wrote:When I try to manually configure my network
Why? You have it setup as DHCP, and you're getting the correct IP for your setup, everything is working as it should:
mint@mint-VirtualBox:~$ ifconfig
enp0s3: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 10.0.2.15  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 10.0.2.255
sijoluja wrote:I can't seem to find my Primary Network interface
What's the "Primary Network interface"? Where did you see that?

What do you want to do, and why?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sijoluja

Post by sijoluja »

Hello Socratis,

Thank you for your reply. I am in the process of learning how to manually configure a network.

I am watching Eli's video on how to do so, and it should look like the picture below. This is what I need in order to change the IP into static and add subnet etc.
Attachments
Primary Network Interface
Primary Network Interface
Screenshot_1.jpg (63.49 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

sijoluja wrote:I am watching Eli's video on how to do so, and it should look like the picture below
Sure... If you're using the same exact OS from 2011 when the video was shot. I don't think it's going to look the same on your Mint 8 years later. In fact, because I do have a Mint 19 VM, it doesn't.

Tutorials are a starting point, not the Book of Truth. You need to look for something more ... recent. For example, in the video it talks about "eth0", his primary interface. Well, it's not "eth0" anymore, it's "enp0s3" in your case. And there's no entry for that in your "/etc/network/interfaces", because things have changed.
sijoluja wrote:This is what I need in order to change the IP into static and add subnet etc.
How about starting from telling us what you want to do, and not how to do it by following an outdated tutorial. Why do you want a static IP? And in what range? Because changing the IP manually to something random is not going to work if you're using the NAT option for example...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.