Printer cannot work in virtual windows

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
kaye

Printer cannot work in virtual windows

Post by kaye »

Hello Friends,

To Admin, please move to appropriate forum if necessary.

Desktop computer is running a linux distro. Virtualbox is installed. Windows 7 32-bit is installed inside Virtualbox.

Through this virtual Windows I am able to access different partitions of my hard drive, as well as my USB flash drive.

However, I cannot get it to print with my USB-connected Epson printer. Neither the parallel-port-connected Epson dot matrix printer.

Both printers were installed in the virtual Windows just fine.

I need help.

Thank you for your time.

Marlon
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Printer cannot work in virtual windows

Post by mpack »

The best way to access a host printer is over the network. Plus you have to enable Windows compatible printer sharing on your host, and allow the Windows guest to install a printer driver (which it still needs, even when the printer is not locally attached).

Stealing ownership of the printer at a USB level is rarely successful in my experience. Even if you succeeded the effect is to deny the host access to its own printer.

Possibly relevant, though I've not read it in detail:
https://www.howtogeek.com/191323/how-to ... a-network/
kaye

Post by kaye »

Thank you mpack.

Unfortunately I still cannot print. To be certain that I have set up the host printer to enable Windows compatible printer sharing, I turned on a second desktop computer and tried to print over wifi with the same printer, and it worked. So the printer is now available to use over wifi, and a Windows 7 in another physical desktop computer can print with it over wifi.

But if I try to accomplish the same thing using the VIRTUAL Windows 7, which is running inside a Linux host, in which the printer is physically connected to via USB cable, I am unable to print.

In other words, an actual separate desktop computer, which does not have any printer physically connected to it, can access the printer over the network.
But in the original desktop computer in which the printer is physically connected to via USB cable, its guest Windows 7 cannot access the printer over the network.

Hope that's clear.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
kaye

Post by kaye »

Don't know if I did it right, but here's the log.
A lot of lines though.
Thank you for your time.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(32.24 KiB) Downloaded 33 times