How to update VirtualBox on Fedora 30

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JOJOBO

How to update VirtualBox on Fedora 30

Post by JOJOBO »

When I first download virtualbox on fedora 26 I installed it via GUI and now I need to update it, and of course when I type yum update VirtualBox it dosen't work out
so I tried to update it by the same way I installed it and when I do that it says:
Unable to install "Oracle VM VirtualBox":
Error running transaction:file /usr/bin/VBox from install of VirtualBox-6.0-6.0.10_132072_fedora26-1.x86_64 conflicts with file from virtualBox-5.2-5.2.16_123759_fedora26-1.x86_64"

It maybe will work if I deleted VirtualBox and Installed it again but I don't want to delete my stuff
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to update VirtualBox on Fedora 30

Post by socratis »

Completely remove/uninstall/delete/purge what you have right now, and install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox. You can even add VirtualBox as a repository, so you could use your traditional install/upgrade/uninstall tools.

Your VMs/Settings are not going to be touched during this procedure, as long as you uninstall just the program related files, and not your "data" or your settings...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JOJOBO

Post by JOJOBO »

And how can I add virtualbox to fedora repository so when a new update comes out, I can do yum update VirtualBox
sorry for asking these stupid questions but I am new to linux :)
sijoluja

Post by sijoluja »

I am wondering about this as well :)
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Follow the link to the "Linux Downloads" page socratis has provided above and read the last section of that page. ;)
JOJOBO

Post by JOJOBO »

well I did what you told me but I don't think I have deleted the old files, I tried "#dnf remove VirtualBox-5.3.11-200.fc28.x86_64.x86_64" and it deleted bunch of other files
but when I did "#dnf search Virtualbox"
I found "kmod-VirtualBox-5.3.11-200.fc30.x86_64.x86_64" and bunch of other things similar to it which I believe is related to the default system
anyways I ignored it and started the process for installing the new version in which I followed these steps at this website https://www.tecmint.com/install-virtual ... ora-linux/
, one of these steps was to do
"#dnf update"
so I did it and I think it restored the old files that I deleted previously
so all I am asking is how to delete/uninstall the old version completely without deleting default packages/files
and how can I keep my virtualbox up to date without redoing this process again
basically tell me what to type :lol: