[Resolved] Error VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Aligator

[Resolved] Error VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration

Post by Aligator »

I have a new computer with AMD CPU, with Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10 in VirtualBox. I went to start Windows from a power off state only to get the error message which concludes with " your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot." I took it back to the place that set this up and they did something and charged my 80 bucks. I would like to be able to fix this with your help. I haven't used Windows for a couple of weeks and now this. Why do I use windows? I have a CNC machine which requires it.
Last edited by socratis on 20. Jul 2019, 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration

Post by socratis »

Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Remember that these are just guidelines, you have to use your judgement...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Aligator

Post by Aligator »

I'll verify the hardware and bios. This was done, but I'm assuming that it wasn't changed, Thanks for the help.
Aligator

Post by Aligator »

found the problem, SVM mode was disabled in the bios. How does that get changed. On with the next issue. Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Sure thing, marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.