No sound on 5.2.32 (#18820)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
nauved

No sound on 5.2.32 (#18820)

Post by nauved »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18820: No sound on 5.2.32 Linux guest on Linux host
I have had Devuan ascii and beowulf guests on a Devuan Jessie 32 bit host for many months but never used audio. Now I have a need to use it and it is completely dead - sound test, music or video file and audio in both hangouts and jitsi. USB camera and mic are working just fine. I have spent days of frustration trying to sort this.

Setting up sound on this machine was a bit of a challenge because there is a chip on the board and also on the processor. It required a .asoundrc to sort it.

I am using alsa with pulseaudio uninstalled and wonder if that is contributing. apulse is available if needed.

I searched here and found this thread - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=92711 - which was not encouraging regarding alsa. The log described below was requested. I am too tired to do that tonight but will tomorrow if it will be needed. Please advise:
We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
TYVM,

nauved
Last edited by socratis on 14. Aug 2019, 05:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: No sound on 5.2.32

Post by socratis »

nauved wrote: I am too tired to do that tonight but will tomorrow if it will be needed
Yes, it's needed.
I guess we'll see an update tomorrow then... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nauved

Post by nauved »

@socratis . . . Here you go. Log attached. Happy hunting! :D
Attachments
beta-2019-07-18-14-59-39.log.zip
(25.75 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

nauved wrote:I am using alsa with pulseaudio uninstalled and wonder if that is contributing. apulse is available if needed.
I think that's your problem, because in the VBox.log you have:
00:00:00.324444 [/Devices/ichac97/0/LUN#0/AttachedDriver/] (level 5)
00:00:00.324445   Driver <string>  = "ALSAAudio" (cb=10)
00:00:00.469724 Audio: Initializing ALSA driver
00:00:00.493612 AC97: Reset
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
nauved

Post by nauved »

I also noticed ICH AC97 in some terminal output on the guest a few days ago but forgot what it even does. Is ICH AC97 still viable in 2019? The details of audio on Linux are rather over my head . . . I had help putting together the .asoundrc file years ago. Do you have any suggestions for getting the host and guest in sync and would that solve the problem?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Not a Linux user primarily myself, let's see if anyone else has any ideas...
nauved

Post by nauved »

Nobody here uses Linux? Update . . .

There are audio chips on both the board and processor on this box. I suspected that the guest was finding the wrong one. So I put the line "options snd_hda_intel index=1,0" in a file named "/etc/modprobe.d/snd_hda_intel.conf", renumbered the 1 to 0 in the .asoundrc then rebooted. After reboot, desktop sound was fine but still nothing in the VM.

I am beginning to wonder if there isn't a system-wide mute happening somewhere. Any ideas where that might be? Residual pulseaudo stuff (even though all the config files have been deleted). These two files have to be there:

Code: Select all

# dpkg-query --list | grep "pulseaudio"
ii  gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:i386          1.10.4-1                           i386         GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
ii  xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin:i386          0.2.4-1                            i386         Xfce4 panel plugin to control pulseaudio
nauved

Post by nauved »

Weeks later and still all 3 of my VB VMs remain silent.

Have tried various combinations in the VB audio settings. In the host changed the order of cards in /etc/modprobe.d. Fiddled in various ways with the .asoundrc - syntax, location etc. Have sent many logs to someone much more skilled that I. Even held my nose and reinstalled pulseaudio. Still not a peep. What is going on?

Then I do a fly-by boot of a live iso on qemu. Sound just works on the desktop and online ootb without having to change one setting.

Please tell me what I am missing!!
Shamedy

Post by Shamedy »

Linux Mint updated a few days ago from 5.2.18 to 5.2.32 and sound broke in both my XP and Win7 VMs. Please note that I have removed PulseAudio from my system and I am using ALSA. Strangely sound still works in my Win98 VM which is the only one using Sound Blaster!

I am attaching both Win98 (sound works) and Win7 (sound does not work) logs.
win98 and win7.zip
(35.91 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
In the meantime I will try to revert my Win7 VM back to an older version because I recently installed an antivirus on it and perhaps it is the cause of the lack of sound and I am mistaken that my XP VM ever has sound (I think it did though).
 Edit:  Forgot to say, I tried installing the latest 6.x version and it did not work either. But I knew that my Linux Mint had issues with 6.x anyhow from the past so that's not a surprise. 
Shamedy

Post by Shamedy »

I reverted to 5.2.18 and sound works again in my Win7 VM. I am attaching the log of the VM that now has working sound if someone wants to compare it with the one in my previous post.
Win7good.log.zip
(18.17 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
nauved

Post by nauved »

@Shamedy . . . Thank you for your downgrade report. I hope to do the same today. If I also have a good result, perhaps a bug needs to be submitted? Not quite sure how to do that but will figure it out.
nauved

Post by nauved »

Thank you @Shamedy!! I downgraded to 5.2.18 and now have sound back. This bug should be reported. I'm actually surprised there aren't more reports of it on this forum.

Perhaps socratis can point us where to do that.
nauved

Post by nauved »

socratis
Site Moderator

Re: No sound on 5.2.32 (#18820)

Post by socratis »

nauved wrote:Perhaps socratis can point us where to do that.
I see that you found your way while I was out... ;)

Added ticket info in the title and first post.
nauved

Re: No sound on 5.2.32 (#18820)

Post by nauved »

@socratis . . . Yes, I did. There was a response and I attached the requested log but then no response in the 5 days since I posted it. What is an acceptable time to wait before bumping the bug report? Response to bugs has usually been more immediate elsewhere. There is no indication that the log has even been downloaded. Maybe summer holidays are to blame . . .