Error when trying to launch guest OS in Virtualbox 6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Rovernut

Error when trying to launch guest OS in Virtualbox 6

Post by Rovernut »

New here, but not new to Virtualbox, I've been using it a few years, but now having a problem.

4.9.0-9-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.9.168-1+deb9u2 (2019-05-13) x86_64 GNU/Linux
Virtualbox Version 6.0.10 r132072
Added Virtualbox.list to /etc/apt/sources.list.d

I added
Currently it's installed by downloading virtualbox-6.0_6.0.8-130520~Debian~stretch_amd64.deb from Oracle and running dpkg -i

Some report it's a header problem, so

Code: Select all

dpkg --list |grep linux-image
ii  linux-image-4.9.0-8-amd64   4.9.144-3.1             amd64        Linux 4.9 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-4.9.0-9-amd64   4.9.168-1+deb9u3        amd64        Linux 4.9 for 64-bit PCs
ii  linux-image-amd64           4.9+80+deb9u7           amd64        Linux for 64-bit PCs (meta-package)
When I try to start the guest OS, I get

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. 
dmesg shows

vboxdrv: disagrees about version of symbol cpu_tlbstate
vboxdrv: Unknown symbol cpu_tlbstate (err -22)
Installed module-assistant and ran

m-a prepare
but still have the same error

I've been searching as I can for a couple of days and can't find resolution for Debian 9 for the Oracle virtualbox 6
Rovernut

Re: Error when trying to launch guest OS in Virtualbox 6

Post by Rovernut »

Anyone?
DarkoD

Post by DarkoD »

Have same problem on CentOS 7. It seems something has been changed in VB 6.0.10 while previous version (6.0.8 ) worked perfectly.

When starting the guest OS (Windows10) an error pops up:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 10.

The virtual machine 'Windows 10' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
and gives also additional information:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing
'/sbin/vboxconfig'
as root
If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Lynux system's documentation for more information.
where : suplibOslnit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
I tried already to disable UEFI secure boot in BIOS and VB worked perfectly. Since I am not satisfied I'll try to sign those four modules mentioned above.
I'll keep in touch.
br, DarkoD
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@Rovernut
Please download the latest VirtualBox. As of this writing, that would be version 6.0.10. If that doesn't work you should try the latest test builds.

@DarkoD
DarkoD wrote:I tried already to disable UEFI secure boot in BIOS and VB worked perfectly. Since I am not satisfied I'll try to sign those four modules mentioned above.
You're correct. If you need SecureBoot enabled, the kernel modules have to be signed. So far that infrastructure exists for Ubuntu/Debian10 guests, and that's somewhat broken, see ticket #11577 Secure Boot doesn't allow 'vboxdrv' module to load (now works for Ubuntu and Debian 10+ hosts).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.