wheel scroll does not work in virtualbox (windows guest) after buster upgrade

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.

wheel scroll does not work in virtualbox (windows guest) after buster upgrade

Postby robertwork » 12. Jul 2019, 21:45

After upgrading to the recently released Debian buster, wheel scrolling stopped working in only VirtualBox.

VirtualBox runs via the virtualbox-5.2 package from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian.

I tried enabling and disabling mouse integration. Didn't help. Also tried reinstalling the mouse driver on the Windows 10 guest. Also didn't help. Also tried reinstalling addon extensions. Also didn't help.

My host actually has a touchpad, scrolling via two-finger scroll. It works fine everywhere except in VirtualBox.

If there's a package I should downgrade to get this to work, I will certainly do that. I just don't which package downgrade would help.
robertwork

Re: wheel scroll does not work in virtualbox (windows guest) after buster upgrade

Postby socratis » 13. Jul 2019, 07:36

Can you try with an actual USB mouse, that has an actual ScrollWheel? Not the fake two-finger-trackpad one? Maybe there's an issue with the trackpad driver that you might have to investigate further.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: wheel scroll does not work in virtualbox (windows guest) after buster upgrade

Postby sjvs » 14. Aug 2019, 17:39

I think I might have the same issue:

• Scrolling with both normal mouse and touchpad (two-finger scrolling, Dell Precision 5520) works fine on my VirtualBox host (Ubuntu 19.04)
  • Scrolling with my normal mouse works fine in my VirtualBox guest as well (Ubuntu 19.04)
  • Two-finger scrolling with touchpad almost never works. When I scroll very aggressively, then some gesture gets picked up by the guest OS, and the page suddenly scrolls a lot. But it's basically unusable.

I tried debugging it using xinput and evtest in the guest: indeed, the guest OS only receives scroll signals when I very aggressively use the two-finger scroll on my touchpad. I tried multiple emulation types in the VirtualBox settings (PS/2 mouse, tablet, multi-touch tablet), tried reinstalling the add-ons in the Guest OS, but nothing helps.

To me, it appears as if the two-finger scrolling signal doesn't properly get picked up by the VirtualBox host software, and/or doesn't properly get passed on to the guest.
sjvs

Postby socratis » 14. Aug 2019, 19:26

sjvs wrote:To me, it appears as if the two-finger scrolling signal doesn't properly get picked up by the VirtualBox host software, and/or doesn't properly get passed on to the guest.
...or isn't sent properly by the host OS. Just a thought...

Come to think of it, there was a problem with the input and a delay had to be introduced. It's been a while though and I can't easily find the referenced ticket.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Postby sjvs » 15. Aug 2019, 12:31

socratis wrote:Come to think of it, there was a problem with the input and a delay had to be introduced. It's been a while though and I can't easily find the referenced ticket.

That sounds interesting. If you do come across that ticket, do post a reference here please! Has that delay been introduced specifically for touchpads? I'm just a bit confused by the fact that scroll with my normal mouse works fine; it's specifically the two-finger scrolling on the touchpad that is problematic. I don't know enough about communication between VirtualBox and host OS to be certain who's to blame.
sjvs

Postby socratis » 15. Aug 2019, 18:07

I did come across the ticket, and what I said is technically still valid:
socratis wrote:there was a problem with the input and a delay had to be introduced

However the "input" I remember had to do with the keyboard, not the mouse. Here's the ticket: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17709
socratis
Site Moderator

Return to VirtualBox on Linux Hosts