Black screen, "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine'

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Dan Stromberg

Black screen, "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine'

Post by Dan Stromberg »

I have a virtual machine that I use pretty much daily, Monday through Friday. It's a Linux Mint 19.1 guest on a Linux Mint 19.1 host.

Yesterday it started having what seems to be a serious problem. The last thing I saw from it was a successful backup that completed at about 4:05AM, July 11, 2019.

By around 7:15AM, July 11, 2019, I could no longer ssh into it.

The "console" is just a black window that appears shortly after the grub menu.

I'm attaching the last 300 lines of my VBox.log, and VBox.png.

Does anyone know how I can make my virtual machine bootable again?

Thanks!
-----
Update:
I just tried to install a new virtual machine, and got the error again for it, again shortly after the grub menu. So I don't think it's something wrong in the guest. I was just trying to boot from linuxmint-19.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso .

The VBox.log is again too large to attach, but I've attached a compressed version of this one.

Thanks!
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
Entire VBox.log from a new virtual machine, compressed with gzip.
(46.96 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
VBox.log
(10.81 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
VBox.png
VBox.png (959 Bytes) Viewed 1029 times
Last edited by Dan Stromberg on 12. Jul 2019, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Black screen, "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine'

Post by socratis »

Dan Stromberg wrote:I'm attaching the last 300 lines of my VBox.log, and VBox.png.
Partial logs are not that helpful I'm afraid. We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Dan Stromberg

Re: Black screen, "A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine'

Post by Dan Stromberg »

I posted a full log from a new virtual machine.

I just tried to uninstall virtualbox and reinstall it, but that didn't help.

Thanks.