VB doesn't "see" an iso image... (#18732)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
obiewan

VB doesn't "see" an iso image... (#18732)

Post by obiewan »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18732: .iso file not listed when attempting to add it to a VM
Howdy,

I just upgraded VB to this level: VirtualBox-6.0.97-131601-Linux_amd64.run but VB still doesn't list the .iso image clonezilla-live-20160210-wily-amd64.iso.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

George...

Here's what the file command says about this image:

file clonezilla-live-20160210-wily-amd64.iso clonezilla-live-20160210-wily-amd64.iso: DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 2 : ID=0xef, start-CHS (0x3ff,254,63), end-CHS (0x3ff,254,63), startsector 427660, 14988 sectors
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VB doesn't "see" an iso image...

Post by mpack »

Why would VirtualBox list an ISO? In what context?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VB doesn't "see" an iso image... (#18732)

Post by socratis »

The details are sparse, even on the related ticket, which was added to the title and 1st post.

@obiewan
I believe I asked in the ticket to include the ticket number in your post. Thankfully it was a fresh ticket and I was able to track it down...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
obiewan

Post by obiewan »

Please accept my apologies for not responding to this earlier.

Running /usr/bin/virtualbox --fullscreen.

The problem for me is that I have a directory containing .iso images (/isos). When I make a new VM entry I then try to attach an iso image to the VM in order to boot from it (via VB) AND install from it. When I do this for a new VM created about 10 mins ago and try to use an "openSuse" iso image (just downloaded 20 mins ago) the image is not listed in the candidates listing produced by VB in the "Storage" entry.

What other details do you need?

Host? Fedora Core 31 x86_64 (Rawhide). Asus N53SN; 8gb memory.

This process has worked for me in the past but the problem seems to come and go.

Thanks,

George...
obiewan

Post by obiewan »

Hi,

I just downloaded/installed the "latest" build of VB "VirtualBox-5.2.31-131558-Linux_amd64.run".

The problem of not "seeing" the iso image is resolved.

Thanks for all your help,

George...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

obiewan wrote:the image is not listed in the candidates listing produced by VB in the "Storage" entry
Why would it be? It's not "registered" with VirtualBox, you simply downloaded it. You got to select the ISO, in either of the two following ways; 1) The VM Settings » Storage, or 2) the Details pane and clicking on the [Optical Drive].

obiewan wrote:"VirtualBox-5.2.31-131558-Linux_amd64.run". The problem of not "seeing" the iso image is resolved.
The .run versions use a bundled version of the Qt libraries, not the Qt that is installed with the system. Maybe that's where you're seeing the problem, a Qt incompatibility?

I'm holding my characterization of the thread as [Solved] until we've actually cleared the issue...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.