Super (windows) key not captured by Linux guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
EtcPancake

Super (windows) key not captured by Linux guest

Post by EtcPancake »

Hi all,
I have a Debian-based Linux guest on my Fedora Linux host and when I try to do key combos like Super + Tab for the window switcher, the input goes to my host machine instead. The only way I can get the window switcher to work in the guest is if I hit Super + alt + Tab. I have capture keyboard turned on and have tried re-enabling it. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Super (windows) key not captured by Linux guest

Post by socratis »

EtcPancake wrote:on my Fedora Linux host
Gnome? It has a tendency to grab everything before VirtualBox sees the key combination.

How about changing the HostKey from the VirtualBox Preferences » Input » Virtual Machine » Host Key Combination. I usually assign my HostKey to something that's not normally used; the "Application" key (in between the RightAlt and RightCtrl).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
EtcPancake

Post by EtcPancake »

socratis wrote:Gnome? It has a tendency to grab everything before VirtualBox sees the key combination.
How would I go about addressing the problem through this route? I figure the host key doesn't make a difference since I don't press it for the key combinations.

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

EtcPancake wrote:How would I go about addressing the problem through this route?
Through the Gnome channels. We provide basic help with the host/guests OSes, but unless you find an expert in Gnome, I suggest you start looking at more specific venues.

If you do find the answer however, a reply with the solution would be much appreciated, so we can all learn... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.