Problem with controllers installing windows 10 OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
cyphers

Problem with controllers installing windows 10 OS

Post by cyphers »

Hi. I have installed Ubuntu Studio 19.04 in mi laptop. Recently I installed Virtualbox because a i need to some functions of Windows. However, when i tried to configure the network, i can't find the controller network of computer. I click on "Attached to: Bridged Adapter" and in the part where I supposed I have to find the name of the controller, I only can select two options: "wlp6so" and "enp7s0". I was reading on internet and I found that the first one represent the "wireless" and the second one the "ethernet internet". I tried with both, but anyone works. I haven't internet in my Windows virtualbox. The wireless controller named of my computer is QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network AdapterQCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter

Someone can help me? Thanks for your attention.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Problem with controllers installing windows 10 OS

Post by mpack »

cyphers wrote:I was reading on internet and I found that the first one represent the "wireless" and the second one the "ethernet internet". I tried with both, but anyone works.
I assume that "anyone works" means "neither one works".

You say you tried both interfaces: what does that mean? Obviously an Ethernet connection can't work unless you are connected to an Ethernet network, i.e. with a cable. Was that the case?

Bridging is designed for Ethernet, because multidrop Ethernet connections are supported explicitly in the Ethernet standard. WiFi does not officially support multidrop (multiple devices sharing one router connection), so it's very much down to the individual devices whether this will work.

Why do you want to use Bridged anyway? NAT works fine for most.

You say you "need some functions of Windows". However there is no such OS as "Windows", so you need to be explicit about versions. For example XP comes with a browser which is almost two decades obsolete and will not connect to most modern websites.
cyphers

Post by cyphers »

Thanks for the corrections. I am not English native, also I always make mistakes when writing. About what you tell me in your answer. Well, i have not tried to connect ethernet cable. I only wants the wireless uses. I saw some tutorials that said I had to configure the bridge adapter to configure the wireless controllers. But according to what you tell me, that does not work. I tried NAT, but in the windows 10 virtual machine (which is the operating system that I am using) there is only the option to connect via Ethernet, which as I explained before, I do not want. I specifically want to be able to connect to the internet through wifi from my Windows 10 virtual machine.
Thanks for your time.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Please understand that the hardware inside the machine is virtual (simulated) and has nothing to do with the actual hardware of your host.

Your Win10 VM will always "see" an Ethernet connection because VirtualBox does not bother to simulate any other kind of network card. It is the host's hardware that actually gets you online.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

cyphers wrote:I specifically want to be able to connect to the internet through wifi from my Windows 10 virtual machine.
Your WiFi connection will not connect you to the "Internet", only to your router. Which as was explained it's not always technically possible It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience. For example, it works fine in my home, but not in my office. Same laptop, same VM. Try to see if it works either with wired bridged or with NAT.

Even if you connect to your router wirelessly you'll get another private IP address. So, my question is:
  • Why do you specifically need to connect with Bridged-over-WiFi?
If you think that this will give you a WiFi connection inside your guest, no, that's going to happen, read at the answer that mpack gave you:
mpack wrote:Your Win10 VM will always "see" an Ethernet connection
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.