Is there an issue on screen resolution in Virtalbox 6. ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ngux

Is there an issue on screen resolution in Virtalbox 6. ?

Post by ngux »

Hi
I'm running Virtualbox Version 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.9.5) on Ubuntu 18.04 to emulate windows 10. With guests addintions.
I'm not sure I'm doing evry things well but I'm strugguling to get a resolution better than 1024 x 768 on the guest.
In windows, "Resolution" is greyed and cannot be changed.
Full Screen or Scaled mode or Auto resize guest display in View menu do nothing, not give me an higher resolution, it just strechs the sceen, ugly...
Am i missing something ?
Thanx
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Is there an issue on screen resolution in Virtalbox 6. ?

Post by andyp73 »

It sounds like the guest additions may not be correctly installed. Zip the VBox.log file from the guest in question and use the "Upload attachment" option to add it to the thread.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
WFV
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ArchLinux; Fedora; Ubuntu; Win7pro64; WinXP

Post by WFV »

socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@WFV
You linked to a topic from 2012?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WFV

Post by WFV »

Had similar problem with my system (guest screen resolution) and found after updating to 6.0.. one of my linux guests had an old GA in /opt as in that link, I removed it and then GA started working properly and guest screen resolution started working again. The old GA in /opt had been there since 2013. Every update before 6.0 at least back to VirtualBox 4.2.12 there was no problem. Not sure in the OP's case it matters the date of the link, its a simple harmless check.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

WFV wrote:one of my linux guests had an old GA in /opt
Are you sure they were an older version of the VirtualBox GAs, and not some GAs that came with the distro? Because the VirtualBox installer cleans up after older versions.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WFV

Post by WFV »

Thank you socratis, I stand corrected: it was GA from distro in which case probably no use to the OPs issue nor the forum in general. Perhaps the logs requested will reveal the issue.