Exit code 1 on Parrot OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mike12341

Exit code 1 on Parrot OS

Post by mike12341 »

Hello! I am using Parrot OS as my main operating system and I am unable to launch any virtual machines using virtual box. I get the exit code 1 error. I have tried many solutions but none of them work. I believe the issue may be that vboxdrv is never installed, and I do not know to get it. I have virtualbox and virtualbox-dikms installed as well as the linux headers.

Any help will be much appreciated

*When I first installed Parrot OS 2 weeks ago, virtual box was working fine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Exit code 1 on Parrot OS

Post by socratis »

Did you get VirtualBox from the Parrot repositories, or the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox. What's Parrot based on? What versions are we talking about?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mike12341

Exit code 1 on Parrot OS

Post by mike12341 »

I get exit code 1(0x01) everytime I try to launch a virtualbox on virtualbox.

This is my Parrot OS information:
PRETTY_NAME="Parrot GNU/Linux 4.7"
NAME="Parrot GNU/Linux"
ID=parrot
ID_LIKE=debian
Linux version 5.2.0-2parrot1-amd64

I am unsure on what to do. I downloaded virtualbox from the command line, and also several different linux versions from the oracle website. Any help would be much appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mike12341, I merged your post with the exact same one that you had on 2019-06-18. Keep in mind that according to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed.
I downloaded virtualbox from the command line, and also several different linux versions from the oracle website.
You don't randomly download things, you download what's specific for your host.

In the ParrotOS downloads page I see that the current one is based on Debian10, for which there's a specific download, see Download VirtualBox for Linux Hosts.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mike12341

Post by mike12341 »

I downloaded the Debian 10 version and I get the same error.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You know that you're not on Twitter... right? I need details, more details, a lot more details, a whole lot more of details!

First of all, I need to see how the installation went, post the installation procedure output. Did anything fail, did you get any errors in there? Not as a screenshot, but as text.

Then I need to see the state of the kernel driver modules. Not a "I believe the issue may be that vboxdrv is never installed" but an actual state of affairs. If you're using Parrot as your host, you should know how to, but here's some help in case you need it: http://edoceo.com/howto/kernel-modules

Then I need to see the exact error. There should be a "Details" on that error dialog. Expand it and use the "Copy" to copy/paste the error.

And finally, if you're trying to start a VM, I need to see the VM's "VBox.log" as well as the "~/.config/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log" file.
mike12341

Post by mike12341 »

Okay, so I restarted the entire download procedure.
  1. I used sudo apt-get virtualbox into the command line, there were no errors.
  2. I launch virtualbox by typing virtualbox, and get the following warning: WARNING: The character device /dev/vboxdrv does not exist. Please install the virtualbox-dkms package and the appropriate headers, most likely linux-headers-amd64.
  3. I closed out of virtualbox, and then entered the following command "sudo reconfigure virtualbox-dkms virtualbox", then "sudo modprobe vboxdrv".
  4. I relaunched virtualbox, no warning this time.
  5. I downloaded the following iso image to test a virtual machine: http://la-mirrors.evowise.com/ubuntu-re ... -amd64.iso.
  6. I created the virtualmachine on virtual box, and launched it
  7. I get a 0x01 error.
This is the error:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine ubuntu.

The virtual machine 'ubuntu' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
Attached is the VBoxSVC.log file and the kernels.

I am unable to find the VBox.log file after searching through every folder on my OS.
Attachments
Kernels.txt
(7.99 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
VBoxSVC.log
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mike12341 wrote:I used sudo apt-get virtualbox into the command line, there were no errors.
I'm afraid that this might have gotten you the Parrot-forked VirtualBox. What's the complete, exact output of the following command when run from a Terminal on the host?
  • VBoxManage -version
Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but I told you exactly where and how to get VirtualBox from:
socratis wrote:In the ParrotOS downloads page I see that the current one is based on Debian10, for which there's a specific download, see Download VirtualBox for Linux Hosts.
Which means that you should have downloaded the "Ubuntu 18.04 / 18.10 / 19.04 / Debian 10" package from the above page, not do do a "sudo apt-get virtualabox", unless you already added the PPA to your setup...
mike12341 wrote:Please install the virtualbox-dkms package
More evidence of the forked-VirutalBox. You see the official VirtualBox hasn't had the need for DKMS since the last 5.0.x series, not needed after 5.1.0.
mike12341 wrote:I am unable to find the VBox.log file after searching through every folder on my OS.
Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
mike12341

Post by mike12341 »

When iI enter VBoxManage -version i get: 6.0.12r133076

I downloaded the package after completely removing virtualbox from my system.
This time, when launching, no launch errors at all. However, I still receive the 0x01 error when launching the virual machine.

There are no results shown in the VBox Log. This is what it says: "No log files found. Press the Refresh button to rescan the log folder /home/mike/VirtualBox VMs/ubuntu/Logs."
Attached is an updated VBoxSVC.log file.
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(7.91 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mike12341 wrote:This time, when launching, no launch errors at all. However, I still receive the 0x01 error when launching the virual machine.
mike12341 wrote:There are no results shown in the VBox Log.
Hmm... A crash with no logs...

I don't particularly like the following:
Saving settings file "/home/mike/.config/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml" with version "1.12-linux"
Saving settings file "/home/mike/VirtualBox VMs/ubuntu/ubuntu.vbox" with version "1.16-linux"
Saving settings file "/home/mike/.config/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml" with version "1.12-linux"
Can you ZIP post that "/home/mike/.config/VirtualBox/VirtualBox.xml"?

Also the file "/home/mike/VirtualBox VMs/ubuntu/ubuntu.vbox". ZIPPED as well...
mike12341

Post by mike12341 »

Uploaded the files.
"converted.zip" is the Virtualbox.xml
"zipefile.zip" is the ubuntu.vbox
Attachments
converted.zip
(1.08 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
zipefile.zip
(1.32 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by socratis on 11. Oct 2019, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox.xml and ubuntu.vbox look fine.

I still think that you have some sort of mixup between the OSE edition of VirtualBox and the official VirtualBox itself. Clean your system and make sure there's nothing "virtualb*" or "vbox*" and then download the latest official version, 6.0.14 as of this writing.