[Resolved] Windows 10 guest doesn't work since extension update

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
somedumbcanadianguy

[Resolved] Windows 10 guest doesn't work since extension update

Post by somedumbcanadianguy »

Ok so i have the log from the last time I tried to start windows 10 guest. I cant make heads or tales of it but My work is on stall while I cant access my windows 10. Although after this works again Im going to backup my windows10 vbox image to another hard drive so i can have access to files. And this is the first time that I have used a forum so I dont know what to do about much.
I just know that ever since the update to the extension, wondows 10 doesnt work, and I need the extension as I need to access usb3. Every time that I try and close the win10 window down, I then have to use htop and close down a number of things before I can try and shut down.

Any help would be great. Thank you
Attachments
VBOX-LOG-Win10-2019-05-29-00-48-30.log
(89.68 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Last edited by socratis on 31. May 2019, 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
somedumbcanadianguy

Re: Windows 10 guest doesn't work since extension update

ok so after downgrading virtualbox to Version 5.2.30 r130521 (Qt5.9.5) it tells me:
Failed to open virtual machine located in /home/d/VirtualBox VMs/Win10/Win10.vbox.
Error in /home/d/VirtualBox VMs/Win10/Win10.vbox (line 38) -- Invalid value 'VBOXSVGA' in Display/@controller attribute.
/home/vbox/vbox-5.2.30/src/VBox/Main/src-server/MachineImpl.cpp[483] (nsresult Machine::initFromSettings(VirtualBox*, const com::Utf8Str&, const com::Guid*)).
Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
Callee: IVirtualBox {9570b9d5-f1a1-448a-10c5-e12f5285adad}
Anyone know how to fix this???
Last edited by socratis on 31. May 2019, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
somedumbcanadianguy

OMG i fixed it!!
I started a new vbox and just used the WINDOWS.vdi that I already used. VirtualBox created a new folder set but I have my Windows 10 back.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

somedumbcanadianguy wrote:Invalid value 'VBOXSVGA' in Display/@controller attribute
If you create a new Win VM in VirtualBox 6.0.x, the default Graphics Controller (vGPU) is the VBoxSVGA one. If you downgrade to VirtualBox 5.x.x, there is no such vGPU, so it fails.

The trick is to change the vGPU to "VBoxVGA" (without the "S") which is the one that can be found in VirtualBox 5.x.x...

Glad you got it going, and completely on your own! 8)
Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
merihcobanmc

Re: [Resolved] Windows 10 guest doesn't work since extension update

Post by merihcobanmc »

I just opened up the .vbox file file notepad and changed the line

Code: Select all

<Display controller="VBoxSVGA" VRAMSize="128"/>
to VBoxVGA without the S
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: [Resolved] Windows 10 guest doesn't work since extension update

Post by mpack »

Please note that the above discussion is from 2019, about 3 years ago, when the VBoxSVGA emulation was quite new. There is no need for your VBoxVGA hack now, Win10 is perfectly happy with VBoxSVGA - and since the VGA feature may be removed at any moment I would not recommend adopting this hack as a comfort blanket now.

Plus the OP's problem seems to have been caused by needlessly downgrading to VirtualBox 5.2.20 while still trying to use v6 features, and that is certainly not recommended either.