VirtualBox 6 hangs immediately on Mint 19.x Cinnamon using HDMI

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
IansMusical

VirtualBox 6 hangs immediately on Mint 19.x Cinnamon using HDMI

Post by IansMusical »

Hello,

I posted a reply where I am seeing what appears to be the same issue "VirtualBox crashes immediately unless the HDMI cable is unplugged!" as linked below but on Linux Mint 19.x with the cinnamon desktop.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=90934

I am not understanding why if the HDMI cable is plugged in that VirtualBox crashes immediately but if the HDMI cable is unplugged and VirtualBox is started, then the HDMI cable is plugged back in, that VirtualBox works fine.

If I use VirtualBox on Linux Mint 19.x but with the MATE desktop then it just works.

Does anyone have VirtualBox 6 running on Linux Mint 19.x cinnamon successfully? Is there something you had to change? Do I have a setting wrong?

Thank you.
IansMusical

Re: VirtualBox 6 hangs immediately on Mint 19.x Cinnamon using HDMI

Post by IansMusical »

Just a quick update. I have since tried Mint 19.x Cinnamon with VirtualBox 6.0.6 on a laptop and it works fine, which I guess I expected due to the lack of any responses to my post. It's obviously not a widespread issue.

Having tried the same setup again on my 8th gen NUC with an HDMI connection to a sharp 24" TV. I do see the issue of VirtualBox 6 hanging immediately, one cores usage goes up to 100% and the VirtualBox windows doesn't as such appear. After a few minutes the VirtualBox window closes.

I then swapped the sharp TV for a Logik brand TV with a HDMI connection and interestingly VirtualBox worked just fine! :-) I have no idea what's going on. Is there a log I can look at, is this a HDMI fault and actually nothing to do with VirtualBox?
Guideloom

Re: VirtualBox 6 hangs immediately on Mint 19.x Cinnamon using HDMI

Post by Guideloom »

Thanks for following up!
Most don't. :(