USB Filter Change -> VM Black Freeze

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jbalint

USB Filter Change -> VM Black Freeze

Post by jbalint »

Host: Linux Mint 19.1 - 64 bit, Cinnamon + VirtualBox 5.2.30 respectively 6.0.8 + appropriate Extension Pack + membership of vboxusers group
Guests: Windows10 Home 64-bit + Windows 7 Prof 32-bit + both with Guest Additions - both worked well until I changed a USB filter. Now only a black screen appears at startup, nothing more.

My two well-functioning virtual Windows-es (7 and 10) were crashed at the same time: I only changed one of the USB filter settings for one machine (the virtual machine was standing), but both virtual Windows-es died. Now they can only be shut down forced, and even the Linux Mint itself. Zombie processes run in the background that cannot be killed neither from a terminal.

I tried to reinstall the VirtualBox and also the VMs with its setting files (*vbox, VirtalBox.xml), I made several attempts. However exclusively the reinstalling of the Linux Mint system helped, then my VMs worked again. Unfortunately when I set one of the USB filter, I've got back the same black freeze again.

How could I repair my VMs without reinstalling the Linux?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB Filter Change -> VM Black Freeze

Post by socratis »

jbalint wrote:+ VirtualBox 5.2.30 respectively 6.0.8 +
What does that mean? Are you in 5.2.30 or 6.0.8?
jbalint wrote:both worked well until I changed a USB filter
What if you change it back or remove it?
jbalint wrote:Now only a black screen appears at startup, nothing more.
I doubt that a USB filter will do that.
jbalint wrote:Unfortunately when I set one of the USB filter, I've got back the same black freeze again.
What's that, the "Kill the computer" USB filter? I need details... A lot more details about USB devices and filters. Post the output of the commands:
  • VBoxManage -version
    VBoxManage list extpacks
    VBoxManage list usbhost
    VBoxManage list usbfilters
Finally, pick a VM that fails. We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jbalint

Post by jbalint »

VirtualBox 6.0.8 launch (https://ibb.co/z2WfmXG), then W10home64 cold boot --> Black screen forever..., the VM can't be stopped just killed. VirtualBox itself freezes too showing W10home64 is running (https://ibb.co/3p6Kcgd). I could not use its menu. I have to kill it as well. I zipped these 2 files:
~/VirtualBox VMs/W10home64/Logs/VBox.log
~/.config/VirtualBox/VBoxSVC.log
What VBox processes are still running after the massacre:
https://ibb.co/kHs8Prz
https://ibb.co/qr2W66C
Finally Linux can't be halted neither from a terminal (nor can't be it to send to sleep as normally...).
Many thanks. Sorry for the double upload, I could not delete one from Chrome.
Attachments
Logs.zip
Logs + USB details
(22.61 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Last edited by socratis on 22. May 2019, 11:02, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Your log is incomplete. You should be grabbing the logs when the VM is completely shut-down.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jbalint

Post by jbalint »

socratis wrote:Your log is incomplete. You should be grabbing the logs when the VM is completely shut-down.
I would like, however, I am unable to shut-down the VM. Here are 2 desktop records what happens:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1EW7WRqzsLKWH2yT7
I made several attempts two cure my Vbox-VM. I succeeded only when I reinstalled Linux. Still, I doubt the Linux itself spoils. Is there some more config data stored somewhere, which I can't clear even then when I totally reinstall the Vbox? I did clear the *.vbox and VirtalBox.xml files.
jbalint

Post by jbalint »

Thank you for your ideas. Finally, the deletion of all the USB filters has resulted in the successful re-launch of the W10! Whether USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 is set - however without a single filter is set - but now it goes! Later I may test which filter causes trouble, but not now.
Many thanks.