Access to /dev/mapper/control

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Totalvirtual
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Access to /dev/mapper/control

Post by Totalvirtual »

Hello!
Why does VirtualBox 6 need access to /dev/mapper/control?
Does it temporarily create encrypted volumes at runtime? Or is this needed for encrypted virtual drives?
In my case, I don´t use encrypted virtual drives with VBox, thus I wonder why access is still needed....

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Access to /dev/mapper/control

Post by socratis »

Totalvirtual wrote:Why does VirtualBox 6 need access to /dev/mapper/control?
Out of curiosity, how and why did you make that discovery? And is it something of concern, or are you simply investigating?

I have an idea why (load VDIs/VMDKs/etc as mounted disks), but that requires FUSE, not sure if FUSE requires that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Totalvirtual
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Re: Access to /dev/mapper/control

Post by Totalvirtual »

I use AppArmor to confine/secure a number of software I use, VirtualBox is one of it. AppArmor has reported the access attempt to /dev/mapper/control.
I´m not really concerned, it´s more curiousity. Normally /dev/mapper/control is needed to handle LUKS encrypted volumes, I´m pretty much sure, FUSE does not depend on the /dev/mapper/ mechanism.

But, so what, if VB wants it, it gets it :wink: