disk image location

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
gearheadgeek

disk image location

Post by gearheadgeek »

I am probably doing something stupid, but I can't figure it out and can't find an answer here or via google. I am using version 5.1.22 virtualbox on a headless linux host. The old version is because I run slackware and this is a version that works there. Disk images are getting created in my home directory, parallel to Virtualbox VMs, instead of inside the machine storage in Virtualbox VMs. What could I be doing wrong?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: disk image location

Post by socratis »

Find the <VM>.vbox file, ZIP it and post it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gearheadgeek

Post by gearheadgeek »

Just to close this off, it is trivial to move the .vdi file and edit the .vbox file, so I have lost interest in why that is needed.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

gearheadgeek wrote:Just to close this off, it is trivial to move the .vdi file and edit the .vbox file
That's after ignoring all the warnings, but most importantly,

After you've shutdown each and every VirtualBox related process.

otherwise the whole experiment *WILL* fail.

So, please don't trivialize the .vbox editing. If you want "trivial", update to 6.0.x where moving a VM/VDI is indeed a child's play...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.