[Resolved] Error: invalid 'ovf:id' using vboxmanage import (#18571)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Curval

[Resolved] Error: invalid 'ovf:id' using vboxmanage import (#18571)

Post by Curval »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18571: Vboxmanage export / import not working - invalid 'ovf:id' attribute
I'm running am Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS Server with Virtualbox 5.2.28

Exporting an virtual machine with command line works without any reported error. (.ova file)

Importing this machine with the command vboxmanage import file.ova ends with this error:

root@nono2018:~# vboxmanage import 20210417_ADC2.ova
0%...
Progress state: VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR
VBoxManage: error: Appliance read failed
VBoxManage: error: Error reading "/root/20210417_ADC2.ova": missing or invalid 'ovf:id' attribute in operating system section element, line 18
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_FILE_ERROR (0x80bb0004), component ApplianceWrap, interface IAppliance
VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleImportAppliance(HandlerArg*)" at line 307 of file VBoxManageAppliance.cpp

If I open the ova file with a editor, i can see
<Section xsi:type="ovf:OperatingSystemSection_Type" ovf:id="-1160446143">

Why is the ovf:id negativ?

Any suggestion to solve the problem?

Regards
Michael
Last edited by socratis on 19. Apr 2019, 10:24, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
Curval

Re: Error: invalid 'ovf:id' using vboxmanage import

Post by Curval »

Problem solved:

I had to add the following line to the Client machines: vboxmanage modifyvm machinename --ostype "Ubuntu_64"

Aftre that line, vboxmanage export & import worked again.

Regards
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Resolved] Error: invalid 'ovf:id' using vboxmanage import (#18571)

Post by socratis »

Marked as [Resolved].

I see you did the same for the ticket as well... ;)

BTW, it's usually better and faster, if issues get first addressed in the VirtualBox forums, a lot more eyes there. More than 95% of the issues are resolved in the forums, which keeps the developers focusing on the bug fixes and enhancements, and there is no need for another ticket to keep track of.

Plus a discussion and analysis on the bug tracker is going to help me, you, and potentially a future drive-by user or two. Not so in the forums, many more tend to benefit...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.