WinXP Guest Additions (Error Executing VBoxDrvInst.exe)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ffiesta

WinXP Guest Additions (Error Executing VBoxDrvInst.exe)

Post by ffiesta »

In my Debian 4.9.0-8-amd64 I have a VM with Windows XP 32-bits already installed, and I'm using Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.0.4.

After inserting the Guest Additions image (through the menu options), the AutoRun installer kicks in. I went ahead with all options by default and began the installation.

Then this error happened. Copying it to a notepad it reads as follows:

Code: Select all

Error Executing: ""C:\Archivos de Programa\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxDrvInst.exe" driver install "C:\Archivos de Programa\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\VBoxGuest.inf" "C:\Archivos de Programa\Oracle\VirtualBox Guest Additions\install_drivers.log"" (exit code: 2) -- aborting installation
VirtualBox_Windows XP_12_04_2019_16_48_50.png
VirtualBox_Windows XP_12_04_2019_16_48_50.png (29.36 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
VirtualBox_Windows XP_12_04_2019_16_47_23.png
VirtualBox_Windows XP_12_04_2019_16_47_23.png (29.07 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
I think it's worth mentioning that the guest os had a previous Guest Additions installed (around 5.1), but the drag and drop nor the clipboard functions worked, so I first tried installing it on top of it (to no avail), then I tried uninstalling the 5.1 and tried again... Same error.

I'm getting the impression that the new Guest Additions, along with VirtualBox's version, doesn't support WinXP as much.

I'm eager to know possible solutions, else I'd have to install an older VirtualBox version (to which I'd consider a big bummer).

Fast edit: I checked the hard drive's free space and it has a lot of it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: WinXP Guest Additions (Error Executing VBoxDrvInst.exe)

Post by socratis »

ffiesta wrote:I'm getting the impression that the new Guest Additions, along with VirtualBox's version, doesn't support WinXP as much.
That's the wrong impression, WinXP GAs are well and supported, I've been trying them all the time, so have hordes of people.

There's something else going on with your VM, something that it is not VirtualBox related...
  • Can you make a list of the apps you have in your guest?
  • Are you an administrator in your WinXP VM?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.