[Solved] Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by socratis »

zimbodel wrote:I really have no clue what you are talking about
I already said it twice!
socratis wrote:Post the output of the command from the host:
  • 
    uname -rms
BTW, you don't really have to post a "me too" in your own thread, we know that, you are the one that started the thread, remember?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zimbodel

Post by zimbodel »

Which extension pack goes with the link you supplied.
I will do all that to a T as described in the link you provided, but need to know that I use the correct extension pack as it is needed by my host images.
The link supplied do not have the accompanying extension pack.

Is this the general one that should be used?
VirtualBox 6.0.4 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack
All supported platforms
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
socratis wrote:You need to clean your system from all-things-VirtualBox, except your personal files, config and VMs that is. Don't worry, uninstalling VirtualBox will *not* affect your VMs. Then install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'll let someone else help you out. I'm done being ignored.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zimbodel

Post by zimbodel »

I really dont know what your problem is and I harbor no ill feelings toward you. I am really completely amazed that you react this way.
I never ignore you, i just consider all advice and try all that makes sense.
It is your choice, but from my side I have no ill intent towards you and have no clue why you get this fired up.
My company do not use Oracle, but it is scary to have this kind of responses from support. Hopefully it is not reflective of the entire company.
socratis wrote:I'll let someone else help you out. I'm done being ignored.
Last edited by zimbodel on 8. Apr 2019, 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

zimbodel wrote:I really dont know what your problem is
Re-read the thread from the beginning. I asked for 1 (ONE) thing, 3 (THREE) times. Did I get an answer? No. What I got was a request for the ExtPack!!! :shock:
zimbodel wrote:and I harbor no ill feelings toward you
Same here. But at the same time I want to keep my sanity! There are a lot more people that need help, I'm going to focus on those who listen...
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

@zimbodel - after VirtualBox 6.0.4 was released a number of users found that it would not install onto Linux hosts running recent long term support (LTS) kernel versions. This is because internal structures or programming APIs got changed and parts of VirtualBox needed changing to match that. In practical terms, that means that until you have the core of VirtualBox installed and running, Extension Packs, Guest Additions and anything else are irrelevant to you.

Socratis has been trying to get you to run a command that will give us the very specific kernel information for your Linux host. Once we have that we can say either "yes" it is one of the known problem ones, do x, y and z to fix it, or "no" that kernel version should work let us investigate down path a, b or c.

As we lack psychic powers and aren't sat in front of your computer then we need you to give us that information by running the command:
uname -rms
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:after VirtualBox 6.0.4 was released a number of users found that it would not install onto Linux hosts running recent long term support (LTS) kernel versions
All the cases that I've heard of about VirtualBox not getting installed are in this thread; zimbodel, BP LIS, and PeterCardiff. I haven't seen anyone else, but at the same token, people might have migrated to the 18.04 LTS, can't know.

At the same time, I said I would do a test on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS VM, and I did. No problems at all. So, I'm not quite sure where I'd start troubleshooting this. I had an idea where to get started, but...
zimbodel

Post by zimbodel »

socratis wrote:
zimbodel wrote:I really dont know what your problem is
Re-read the thread from the beginning. I asked for 1 (ONE) thing, 3 (THREE) times. Did I get an answer? No. What I got was a request for the ExtPack!!! :shock:
Ok I reread the entire thread.
1) You claim as quoted below that you sent me the uname instruction twice or three times.

You asked for the uname output as a response to user : BP LIS
I am :NOT bplis, so sokratis did not even answer to my post directly.
You clearly addressed your request to bplis, nothing to do with me.

I quote from the forum: to your answer to bplis

Postby socratis » 7. Apr 2019, 23:45
Part 1 is clearly stating that when you're trying to use:

VirtualBox --startvm

won't work, because in 6.0.0 and later the VM launcher has changed and it's 'VirtualBoxVM', not 'VirtualBox'. BTW, why are you trying the command-line option? Doesn't the VirtualBox Manager work?

Part 2 clearly states that the kernel driver is not installed. Look at the diagnostic messages as suggested by the installer. Do what the error tells you! Run 'vboxconfig' and watch for the messages!

Part 3 is expected because of Part 2. If the kernel driver isn't installed, there's no way in this universe that the VM will start, so please don't even mention it, or try it, unless you address Part 2.

Post the output of:

uname -rms

2) Second time you adressed a user by username PeterCardiff.
I am NOT petercardiff.
Again I received no direct instruction from you and you were adressing someone elses related problem not mine.

Again I quote from the thread: You responded to PeterCardiff

Postby socratis » 8. Apr 2019, 02:04
@PeterCardiff
I merged your thread with an existing thread that's dealing with the exactly same issue. It seems that there's something going on here, that needs further investigation...

I'm going to try and install VirtualBox in a 16.04 VM and see what's going on. I have a suspicion though; are you running the 64- or the 32-bit Ubuntu 16.04? I already asked "BP LIS" for that information, but I didn't get an answer. Post the output of the command from the host:
uname -rms
In my VM for example, that command shows:
$ uname -rms
Linux 4.15.0-47-generic x86_64

Unfortunately doing exactly what you ask me contradicts your claim that you told me to do a uname.

I honestly do not know why you want to pick a fight with me and be unreasonable at the same time, but I have no interest to fight with anyone here and clearly followed only what you addressed me about and not others.
Be reasonable.
Maybe you are overworked or something.
I am not your enemy, but I wont stand for untruths attached and pasted onto me, which is clearly the case.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. An answer/post to your thread is supposed to be read by you as well... Especially when you haven't flinched.
  2. Still no answer. Great job! Keep up the good work, I'm sure that someone might eventually help you out...
zimbodel

Post by zimbodel »

This is abusive.
Whatever I do it will never satisfy you or seemingly Oracle you are associated with.
You MERGED threads and therefore you partially disowned me from my thread. How can i be an owner of a merged thread?

I really dont understand all the hate, but if you choose to hate so badly, then it is your cross to bear.
Last edited by socratis on 9. Apr 2019, 01:43, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

zimbodel wrote:This is abusive.
Complain! Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators.
zimbodel wrote:Whatever I do it will never satisfy you
You did everything but post the freaking information! Your inability to understand that a specific piece of information is asked of you, is getting to be worse than a nightmare.

In fact, if in your next post the information that's been asked 4 times already is not provided, this thread is getting locked. That's enough abuse already! I hope I make myself crystal clear!
zimbodel wrote:or seemingly Oracle you are associated with.
I am not associated with Oracle in any way, shape or form. If I was, on the right side where it says "Site Moderator" it would say "Oracle Inc.".
zimbodel wrote:and therefore you partially disowned me from my thread. How can i be an owner of a merged thread?
You *do* realize that you don't have exclusivity to a thread, do you?
zimbodel

Post by zimbodel »

uname -rms
Linux 4.19.0-1-amd64 x86_64
Last edited by socratis on 9. Apr 2019, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
BP LIS

Post by BP LIS »

I am using the Ubuntu 16.04LTS 64 Bit version
ich@ThinkPad-Edge:~$ uname -rms
Linux 4.4.0-145-generic x86_64
The entire issue appears to me, in my humble opinion, a major screw up by Oracle in upgrading the VB to a version that has become TOTALLY incompatible to Ubuntu-Linux. We, as end-users and amateurs are wobbling around here like idiots trying to get to get it to work again on our computers, while being forced to become something like computer programmers.

Now ORACLE being a multi-billion-dollar corporation, full of "high-tech-wizards" I would expect some kind of a solution to the bloody problem that the company itself has caused!
zimbodel

Post by zimbodel »

To BPLis
Maybe this wont solve your problem as threads have been merged, but what you posted solved my problem.

I solved it by not doing
dpkg --purge virtualbox (as what was the package that came with stretch)
but by what you suggested here.
apt-get remove virtualbox* --purge

The only reason why I think this happened was that maybe there are different virtualbox packages coexisting
dpkg --purge virtualbox did nothing to resolve my problem and it failed again after installation although it uninstalled a lot of things, which was what put me off track I guess.

apt-get remove virtualbox* --purge has a wildcard so it must have removed something that is virtualboxXYZ, which is what dpkg --purge virtualbox could not remove.
Whatever the reason it solved it thanks.

Here is the procedure in case someone has my particular problem:

apt-get remove virtualbox* --purge
and NOT apt-get remove virtualbox
as is proposed all around the web.
Then reinstall from site as was instructed Linux Downloads
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
I use Debian Stretch, so I installed the debian virtualbox with Gdebi.

It suddenly worked. Virtualbox package names must have changed.
BP LIS wrote:I mentioned earlier that I uninstalled and reinstalled VB, but to no avail. Now I read in an Ubuntu form that there is an additional command to uninstall everything, even configuration files:

To uninstall and remove all packages, run sudo apt-get remove virtualbox* --purge

Would that help?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

BP LIS wrote:
ich@ThinkPad-Edge:~$ uname -rms
Linux 4.4.0-145-generic x86_64
This is one of the kernel versions that is known to have issues and has been fixed in the test builds. Grab the latest 6.0.5 version and you should be good to go. The test builds are close to what will be in the next release when it comes out so you should find are stable enough for use.
BP LIS wrote:The entire issue appears to me, in my humble opinion, a major screw up by Oracle in upgrading the VB to a version that has become TOTALLY incompatible to Ubuntu-Linux.

The fundamental issue is that Linus has always said the only commitment with the Linux kernel is that changes should never break user space applications. He is more than happy to change the kernels internal structures and APIs (and frequently does). In order to do what it does VirtualBox has to interact directly with the kernel and so sometimes those changes break VirtualBox as in this case.

When the devs are made aware of an issue like that then they generally fix it quite quickly and it gets rolled into the test builds ready for the next release cycle.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.