[Solved] Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by socratis »

BP LIS wrote:
ich@ThinkPad-Edge:~$ uname -rms
Linux 4.4.0-145-generic x86_64
BP LIS wrote:a major screw up by Oracle in upgrading the VB to a version that has become TOTALLY incompatible to Ubuntu-Linux.
...plus some more unfounded guesswork...
To add a small point to what Andy already pointed out, 4.4.0-145 was released on 2019-03-26. The VirtualBox version that you're testing with (6.0.4) was released on 2019-01-28. Do you see why there might be a problem? Do you realize that 2 months is a lot in this type of "business"?

If you want to use the latest version for your host/guests, you should also be doing the same for VirtualBox. You should be trying the latest test builds. Plus, you still have to give some time for the VirtualBox developers to do some catching up. And please hold your judgement until you've done your testing and they've done their updates...
zimbodel wrote:as threads have been merged
Will you give it a rest please? :roll:
It was best in my opinion that the threads got merged, since they were all referring to the same underlying reason, with the same symptoms.

In my first reply to you, I specifically said:
socratis wrote:You need to clean your system from all-things-VirtualBox, except your personal files, config and VMs that is. Don't worry, uninstalling VirtualBox will *not* affect your VMs. Then install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox.
Note that I avoided giving specific commands, just because it sometimes can be convoluted, and you have to find the correct commands/sequence/order for *your* system. We're not sitting in front of your computer, you are.

Glad that 2 out of 3 reporters got it working (or should have it working if they follow the instructions given). Now the only thing remaining is to hear back from "PeterCardiff". But since the OP of this thread managed to get it going, I'm going to mark this as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zimbodel

Re: Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by zimbodel »

andyp73 wrote:
BP LIS wrote:
ich@ThinkPad-Edge:~$ uname -rms
Linux 4.4.0-145-generic x86_64
This is one of the kernel versions that is known to have issues and has been fixed in the test builds. Grab the latest 6.0.5 version and you should be good to go. The test builds are close to what will be in the next release when it comes out so you should find are stable enough for use.
Thanks Andy.
How is a user to know that virtualbox has become problematic with a kernel ?
Is there some notification page where these sort of alarms are stated so that we can rather read and adapt than to post lengthy marathons ?
It will prevent a lot of acrimony and time spent.

Virtual box now works fine without upgrading to 6.0.5, I am using 6.0.4.
But, it might be the reason why USB refuses to work. Virtualbox once about 5 months ago saw my usb devices but never afterwards. Always find nothing.
I will upgrade as you suggest and see how things go.

Thank you for the informative answer.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: [Solved] Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by socratis »

zimbodel wrote:How is a user to know that virtualbox has become problematic with a kernel ?
By searching, or monitoring the forums for similar reports, not easy to do, needs dedication...
zimbodel wrote:Is there some notification page where these sort of alarms are stated so that we can rather read and adapt than to post lengthy marathons ?
Not yet, no user has taken it upon themselves to compile such a list. If you want to do it, you're more than welcome! I'll make absolutely sure that the list gets a "sticky" status, that is on the top of every post!
zimbodel wrote:It will prevent a lot of acrimony and time spent.
Couldn't agree more. Especially for those that don't even bother to search. It's also onerous for the volunteers, the moderators and the admins of the forums, that have to repeat themselves over and over and over... :roll:
zimbodel wrote:But, it might be the reason why USB refuses to work. Virtualbox once about 5 months ago saw my usb devices but never afterwards. Always find nothing.
Please open a new thread for that, we like to observe the "One issue, one thread" rule... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
bluegroper
Primary OS: FreeBSD
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windozes, Linuxes, BSD's

Re: [Solved] Virtualbox Sudden Kernel mismatch issues.

Post by bluegroper »

After update/s to linux kernel amd/or virtualbox, my VM's often fail to run.
Using CentOS, but other distros likely similar.
Here's a copy of my go-to notes that usually keep things working.
- Completely remove old virtualbox.
yum remove virtualbox-6.x (don't worry, the guest VM's are ok.)
- Make sure all vbox services are stopped and removed
- make sure no modules loaded or loadable, delete any rogue modules or symlinks
See /usr/lib/modules/..version../ … extras or misc
- Fresh install, --enablerepo virtualbox
- Install extpack, make sure version matching
Make sure kernel-headers package matches the running kernel module
- Then do the /usr/sbin/vboxconfig
Make sure the vboxconfig step takes time and actually rebuilds the kernel modules
- modinfo vboxdrv and check the vermagic matches the kernel version
YMMV