VirtualBox segfaults on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
colt

VirtualBox segfaults on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

Post by colt »

Hello. I downloaded the latest VirtualBox 6.0.4, the package for all distros.

I installed it and when tried to run it as root, it ended in segfault. With a normal user, it complained about something qt related, I do not remember anymore the details unfortunately.

Had to uninstall it and now reinstalled it to come here and tell about the the error messages. Just that now the segfault is happening with both user and root running it.

That's what happens when I go to the /opt/VirtualBox dir and do

Code: Select all

./VirtualBox
If I just go to the graphical menu and click and it, nothing seems to happen (so I guess the segfault happens). How can I diagnose the problem? I am running Ubuntu 10.04.
ghr
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: DOS, Win3x, Win95, WinXP, Ubuntu, OS/2

Re: VirtualBox segfaults on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx

Post by ghr »

You use an OLD (end-of-life) operating system and a NEW application, that is asking for trouble (or just hoping to be lucky). Use Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04... (14.04 is also end-of-life by now, April 2019).
colt

Post by colt »

I can't (besides newer Ubuntu are awful). Perhaps an old version? Which is the last supported?
Last edited by socratis on 9. Apr 2019, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
colt

Post by colt »

Read the manual that says me to type "VirtualBox" on a terminal. Did it and received:
WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module available for the current kernel (2.6.32-38-generic) or it failed to load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by
  • sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
Qt FATAL: This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"
in "".
Available platform plugins are: xcb.
Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Aborted
Typed "sudo /sbin/vboxconfig". It printed a lot of things on the terminal, and that ended with:

Code: Select all

insserv: exiting now!
insserv: warning: script 'K20acpi-support' missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: Service vboxdrv has to be enabled to start service vboxweb-service
insserv: exiting now!
vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
Now I once more typed "VirtualBox" on the terminal and the old message came back:
Qt FATAL: This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"
in "".

Available platform plugins are: xcb.
Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.
Aborted
So I need to to compile and install QT? Is hard to find the download link (some open source projects are extremely difficult to find or to know what to download) Can I do it in a non default system dir (I ask because VirtualBox moght not be able to locate it)

When I do "dd VirtualBox" it shows no unsatisfied dependency, and everything QT related is on VirtualBox own directory.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

colt wrote:I am running Ubuntu 10.04.
As 'ghr' mentioned, 6.0.4 is not supported on 10.04. From ch. 1.4. Supported Host Operating Systems:
• Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, 18.04 LTS and 18.10
Your host can't run 6.0.4.

Searching the previous manuals, 4.3.40 can run on 10.04, so does 5.0.40, and up to 5.1.10, but not 5.1.12. So if you want to install an (unsupported) VirtualBox, 5.1.10 is the latest release that can run on Ubuntu 10.04.

Anything higher than that seems like a collective waste of time...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
colt

Post by colt »

Out of curiosity, why you say 6.0.4. More precisely, why '6' ?

Anyway. your link also says
It should be possible to use Oracle VM VirtualBox on most systems based on Linux kernel 2.6 or 3.x using either the Oracle VM VirtualBox installer or by doing a manual installation. See Section 2.3, “Installing on Linux Hosts”. However, the formally tested and supported Linux distributions are those for which we offer a dedicated package.

Note that Linux 2.4-based host OSes are no longer supported.
And on section 2.3
For the various versions of Linux that are supported as host operating systems, see Section 1.4, “Supported Host Operating Systems”.

You will need to install the following packages on your Linux system before starting the installation. Some systems will do this for you automatically when you install Oracle VM VirtualBox.
  • Qt 5.3.2 or later. Qt 5.6.2 or later is recommended.
  • SDL 1.2.7 or later. This graphics library is typically called libsdl or similar.
So no strict reason as to why is not possible. From the error message and some search I did, the error is QT related. I will try to install the required QT version and see if it works. If does, great. Otherwise, I will go after the latest version that was tested on 10.04