[NotSupported] virtualbox-6.0 Freeze on Mint 18.3 XFCE 64

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
brvcf

[NotSupported] virtualbox-6.0 Freeze on Mint 18.3 XFCE 64

Post by brvcf »

I installed Virtualbox from the Software Manger.
Created Windows VM, Tried to install XP Pro in VM. Mint locked up.
Uninstalled.
Downloaded/installed latest version (6.0) from web site for Ubuntu 16.04 which is Mint 18.3 base
Created VM, tried again.
Still freezes.
Mint 18.3 XFCE 64 Bit
kernel 4.15.0-46-generic #49~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Feb 12 17:45:24 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
hardware: Dell Dimension-E52
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
3GB RAM (512 was assigned to VM)
C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] integrated graphics
Last edited by socratis on 10. Apr 2019, 08:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [NotSupported].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: virtualbox-6.0 Freeze on Mint 18.3 XFCE 64

Post by socratis »

brvcf wrote:Downloaded/installed latest version (6.0) from web site for Ubuntu 16.04 which is Mint 18.3 base
Which web site?

And you provided information about even your GPU, but you didn't tell us the VirtualBox version from the "VBoxManage -version" command, please do.
brvcf wrote:Still freezes.
We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
brvcf

Post by brvcf »

Installed from: download . virtualbox . org/virtualbox/6.0.4/virtualbox-6.0_6.0.4-128413~Ubuntu~xenial_amd64.deb

VBoxManage -version: 6.0.4r128413

This time Virtualbox did not actually freeze or lock up the entire computer but the XP install process seemed to hang at 'Setup is loading files (Partition Manager)." After several minutes of non-activity I stopped it.

To check it wasn't due to problem reading the CD I verified I could copy the contents of the cd to a folder..

By the way, installing from the Mint software manager put an item in the System section of the menu but installin from the .deb didn't create any menu entry or .desktop file. I can only start virtualbox by typing the command. I'm guessing that runs /usr/bin/virtualbox? Is there an icon file I can use if ai crate a launcher? Found it , different name "Oracle VM Virtualbox" from the .deb , was just "Virtualbox" from software manager.
Attachments
XPP-2019-04-04-00-34-17.log.tar.gz
(20.25 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
brvcf

Post by brvcf »

So I kept playing with it an tried installing from an iso. First time it stopped with an error message pop-up. Unfortunately I didn't grab a screenshot. Tried again and it seems to have worked. So for now I guess the immediate problem is solved. But I am going to try again to create anotehr VM and install from disk and see what happens.
brvcf

Post by brvcf »

Spoke too soon. Everything looked good.

About the 4th time I ran the VM, after installing the VirtualBox 6.0.4 Extension Pack. Windows XP locked while booting up, and actually the whole computer locked up. The only way to recover was turn the power off and reboot.

Does not look like Virtuabox had a chance to create a log file, it just locked up.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.514240 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, 16 MB)
You should increase the VRAM to at least 64 MB.
00:00:01.684203 HM: Guest support: 32-bit only
00:00:01.684220 GIM: Warning!!! Host TSC is unstable. The guest may behave unpredictably with a paravirtualized clock.
00:00:01.684946 Full Name: "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+"
Your CPU isn't exactly the latest and greatest. In fact it is obvious from the above warning that it's rather limited. From the CPU-world website about the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ you see:
Introduction date:	Dec 5, 2006
That's a 13-year old CPU! It's a miracle that it runs as "well" as it is...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
brvcf

Post by brvcf »

Thank you for your reply.

Increasing VRAM didn't work.

You are probably right about the CPU being the problem. I have 5600+ CPU I will try and see if it makes any difference.

Although Mint itself runs fine. I can have several applications open including Firefox with several web pages including tnotoriously clunky Facebook and Weather Underground, or watch Amazon Prime Video, etc.

Setting up Virtuabox on this old computer was more of an experiment and learning experience so it is not critical. But if you have any other suggestions I'd like to hear them.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

brvcf wrote:But if you have any other suggestions I'd like to hear them.
Try to run something... lighter, that's all. Create a live CD/DVD/USB and try the guest OS in live mode, see what kind of performance you get. Plus the suggestions that I gave you above.
brvcf

Post by brvcf »

socratis wrote:Try to run something... lighter, that's all.
I tried DOS 6.22.Can't get much lighter than that Locked up first time I started the install, right at the Welcome to Setup screen.
Maybe this procosser is just not compatible. I have a 5600+ I will try installing but I have my doubts.
brvcf

Post by brvcf »

Update: I removed the 4000+ and installed a 5600+. Seems to have solved the problem.

No hiccups so far. I was able to play pinball... :D

More significant: I am writing this post in Firefox on the host (Linux Mint) while I have the Windows XP VM running with Firefox 52esr open and Windows Update/Internet Explorer open and downloading updates and Control Panel, Automatic Updates and File explorer open.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, it was a matter of the CPU capabilities after all.

I honestly don't know how to mark this, I think I'll go with [NotSupported] since your original CPU, the one you created your thread for, isn't exactly supported, and it's not quite a Solved/Resolved, because the next person coming in looking for an answer in a Resolved marked thread, are going to discover that the resolution was to change the CPU...