VB Kernel driver issues on Linux 3.13.0-167-generic

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Lantic

VB Kernel driver issues on Linux 3.13.0-167-generic

Post by Lantic »

Hello

I updated my host Linux Mint to kernel 3.13.0-167 (Linux Mint 17 Qiana) based on Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS Trusty Tahr. I have been unable to find any posts on this forum or any other forum that pertain to this particular kernel (and the search on this forum does not allow numbers, so I can't search for version numbers) but I have found nothing so far.

The default Vbox version that comes with this kernel is 4.3.0.37. I got various dkms errors with this and the VM wouldn't open (guest is Win XP). I wanted to downgrade it to the previous working version (which I've had to do before) which was 3.x. Unfortunately, neither the Synaptic manager nor Vbox seem to offer this version anywhere anymore.

Following a forum post somewhere (I've been at this for 24 hours and can't remember where everything was) that suggested upgrading to Vbox 5.2 or above to get rid of the dkms issue, I completely cleaned out 4.3 and installed 5.2.26 + extension pack. VM still won't open but now I got the kernel error (same as topic 92373 (I can't post URLs)). The /sbin/vboxconfig gave the same loop as experienced by the member on topic 92373) and I haven't found any other fix.

So, today I cleaned out the 5.2.26 and installed the 6.0.4 + extension pack.

I still get the same issue:
Virtualbox - Error
The virtual machine 'Windows XP' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code: NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {5047460a-265d-4538-b23e-ddba5fb84976}
and
Virtualbox - Error in suplibOsinit
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing
'/sbin/vboxconfig'
as root.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
The log file from Vbox is stuck on a previous date and Vbox version and doesn't update to the latest issue.

Please let me know what further info you need from me to help fix this problem.

Thank you.
Last edited by Lantic on 9. Apr 2019, 14:43, edited 2 times in total.
Lantic

Re: VB Kernel driver issues on Linux 3.13.0-167-generic

Post by Lantic »

Dear Virtualboxers

I am at my wit's end. I have tried various versions of VBox including the one that used to work (4.3.28) and none of them work. I have rolled back my Linux kernel version to the one that VB last worked on and installed the version that worked. No joy.

When following the instructions given by VB, I get:

Code: Select all

~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules ...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMSdebconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (Dialog frontend requires a screen at least 13 lines tall and 31 columns wide.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
debconf: (Dialog frontend requires a screen at least 13 lines tall and 31 columns wide.)
debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
Secure Boot not enabled on this system.
 ...done.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
  (modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why)
When I run it again immediately afterwards, I get:

Code: Select all

~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules ...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMSSecure Boot not enabled on this system.
 ...done.
Starting VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
  (modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why)
Running dmesg gives me a ton of stuff that I'd rather not post here, but no mention of 'dkms' 'modprobe' 'vboxdrv' in the message. 'Kernel' has a few mentions but no errors that I can see.

I am desperate to fix this problem - I really really need to get into my VM. I hope you can help me.

Thought: The VM was saved but not shut down. Could this be the problem? If so, can I shut down the VM completely? I can't get into it, obviously, so would need to shut it down from 'outside' it.
Lantic

Re: VB Kernel driver issues on Linux 3.13.0-167-generic

Post by Lantic »

Okay, so I never solved this problem, and no responses were forthcoming. I have now got a new OS and new VB problem, so I'll start a new topic.