/sbin/vboxconfig fails

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
skidvd

/sbin/vboxconfig fails

Post by skidvd »

Hello all,

I need some help please!!

My virtualbox install on Ubuntu 16.04 that has been working well for years has recently run into problems and will not start its VMs any longer!

When I try to launch a VM, I get the following error: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908). This advises me to run /sbin/vboxconfig as root (which I do via sudo). Unfortunately it also fails with the following:

vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
vboxdrv.sh: failed: Look at /var/log/vbox-setup.log to find out what went wrong.

I have attached the vbox-setup.log. Please help as I am dead in the water untll I can get this running again. I have already tried reinstalling virtualbox-5.2 with the --reinstall flag, but it ends in the same fate (error).

Thank you in advance for any and all help!
Attachments
vbox-setup.log
vbox-setup.log
(49.11 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: /sbin/vboxconfig fails

Post by andyp73 »

There are known build issues with the guest additions with the later 4.4 kernels. One is described in ticket [Fixed] vboxdrv build failure, VBox 5.2.26 32-bit, kernel 4.4.168 (#18315). You should download and install the latest Test Buildsr128999 and later, for both 5.2.27 and 6.0.5.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mtca

Post by mtca »

Have the same problem. Mine is on the host and occurred after an Ubuntu 16.04 update which updated the kernel from version 4.4.0-142 to 4.4.0-143. I was able to temporarily restore functionality by booting the previous 142 version kernel. To boot previous kernel, repeatedly press the 'Esc' key during boot, select advanced options, then select the previous kernel.
ucrasher
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: XP,Win7,various Linux

Post by ucrasher »

See my work around in the bug report.
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18500

Short: Install the HWE stack.
Thanks, ucrasher.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

This is getting multiple (4) thread coverage, and I missed that fact, I should have merged them. So, I'm locking this one, please continue the discussion in: [Fixed] vboxdrv build failure, VBox 5.2.26 32-bit, kernel 4.4.168 (#18315).

Plus ticket #18500 should be closed as a duplicate of #18315.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.