Critical error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Jedi

Critical error

Post by Jedi »

I am running Ubuntu 18.10 on Zorin host.

On reboot I have got the message:

"A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped."

If I press ok then reboot it freezes halfway through booting.

I have tried earlier snapshots, some as early as a fresh install - sometimes I get this error on reboot, sometimes I don't.

I have noticed the error does not seem to occur when I re-start the VM in a window, but if I re-start it while it is in full screen mode then the error occurs. I have repeated this a number of times and consistently get the same outcome. If I successfully boot while in a window then switch to full screen the error occurs. I have tried to attach the log but it says the file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB.

When the VM crashed it produced this message:

[ 1.34550] usb 2-1: can't set config #1, error -32
/dev/sada1: clean, 213064/6553600 files, 2840724/26213888 blocks
[ 7.441927] [drm:vmw_host_log [vmwgfx] *error* failed to send log
[ 7.442356] [drm:vmw_host_log [vmwgfx] *error* failed to send log

I have a number of VM's on this machine, only Ubuntu 18-10 does this, Ubuntu 18.04 is ok.

Any insights as to what is happening here would be appreciated.
Last edited by Jedi on 10. Mar 2019, 10:57, edited 6 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Critical error

Post by socratis »

Jedi wrote:I have tried to attach the log but it says the file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB.
Notice the RED part in the following paragraph...

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Jedi

Post by Jedi »

Ok I have zipped the file and attached it.
Attachments
Ubuntu18-10-2019-03-08-17-27-35.log.tar.gz
(59.33 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Jedi

Post by Jedi »

I have been having problems with my Zorin VM as well. I have exported it as a .ova file and imported it on VirtualBox 6 running on a Windows computer. So far it seems ok so it looks as though the problem is either with the VirtualBox program installed on Zorin or Zorin itself. I might try reinstalling VirtualBox on Zorin, see if that fixes things.
Jedi

Post by Jedi »

Ok I have done full reinstall of my Zorin OS from scratch. I then installed Virtualbox 6, installed the extension pack, and created virtual machines for:

Ubuntu 18.10
Linux Mint 19.1
Elementary 5.0
Zorin 12.4

I installed the latest Guest Additions and run "sudo apt-get update" then "sudo apt-get upgrade' in terminal on all the virtual machines.

I then ran experiments starting the virtual machines in full screen mode and in windowed mode a number of times. I also resized each virtual machine window several times in quick succession.

I created the same virtual machines on a Windows 10 host and ran the same experiments.

At no time did I get any critical error.

I had no issues resizing the virtual machine windows for any of the virtual machines except for Zorin. If I resized the Zorin virtual machine window several times in quick succession I lost the desktop. I used the recording function on Virtualbox to record this, it illustrates the problem quite well. I am not able to upload it here due to its 1.3 MB size but can provide it to anyone that may be interested. Because this issue was only with the Zorin virtual machine I have concluded the issue is with Zorin rather than Virtualbox. I will be emailing the Zorin developers with the video to see what they have to say.

The hard drive I originally had Zorin installed on failed. I replaced the hard drive and restored the OS with Timeshift. However I think some of the files may have been corrupted due to bad sectors on the failed hard drive and all Timeshift did was restore the corrupted files. I have concluded that the critical errors I experienced were due to corrupted files on the Zorin host OS and not with any issue with Virtualbox.

I would mark this thread as solved if I knew how.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Perhaps this would help.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=92017