Weston wayland (VMSVGA) stopped working with kernel 5.0

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
l0ner

Weston wayland (VMSVGA) stopped working with kernel 5.0

Post by l0ner »

Arch guest and arch host. VMSVGA as the driver.

Weston used to work fine. Now it just doesn't render. However it falls back to console if you ctrl+alt+backspace (which probably means its not crashing.)

Anyone noticed the same. Or has a solution to it?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Weston wayland (VMSVGA) stopped working with kernel 5.0

Post by socratis »

There is an issue with the 5.0.0 kernel and the Guest Additions (GAs), which has been resolved with 6.0.4, see the 6.0.x changelog:
• Linux hosts and guests: fix for building kernel modules against Linux 5.0. Thank you Kyle Laker
Since you didn't mention your VirtualBox version, can you try that? And if you're using the Arch VirtualBox/GAs, can you let the Arch people know?

And BTW, as far as I know, the Wayland part has been removed, AFAIK, see the 5.2.x changelog, specifically for 5.2.22:
• Linux Additions: disable 3D for recent guests using Wayland (bug #18116)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
l0ner

Re: Weston wayland (VMSVGA) stopped working with kernel 5.0

Post by l0ner »

I am on 6.0.4. Arch latest. The guest Arch where i test weston was working fine before i updated to the latest kernel and guest modules. And i cant downgrade. :?

Virtualbox (the interface on the host) runs as an xwayland app but that doesn't matter (even thougt i'd love it to run natively with Qt)