[Solved] Windows 8.1 "Your pc can't project to another screen"

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ariana

[Solved] Windows 8.1 "Your pc can't project to another screen"

Post by ariana »

I'm trying to use VirtualBox to run Microsoft powerpoint for presentations, however, when I try to change windows to extend mode it gives me the error "Your PC can't project to another screen". I've tried reinstalling graphics drivers, started a new windows VM, but it still gave the same error.
Here's an image of the error: (imgur, cuz cant post urls yet) wMVUK9
I've also included the vbox file as a zip file if needed.
Attachments
vboxzip.zip
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
VBox.log
(110.12 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Last edited by socratis on 22. Feb 2019, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 8.1 "Your pc can't project to another screen"

Post by socratis »

00:00:00.653335 File system of '/home/ariana/.config/VirtualBox/VBoxGuestAdditions_5.2.22.iso' (DVD) is ext4
Do not download the Guest Additions (GAs) ISO separately, it's a recipe for a disaster. Always use the GAs that come already bundled with your VirtualBox installation. See ch. 4.1. Introduction to Guest Additions:
4.1. Introduction to Guest Additions wrote:The Oracle VM VirtualBox Guest Additions for all supported guest operating systems are provided as a single CD-ROM image file which is called VBoxGuestAdditions.iso. This image file is located in the installation directory of Oracle VM VirtualBox. To install the Guest Additions for a particular VM, you mount this ISO file in your VM as a virtual CD-ROM and install from there.
In the Devices menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, Oracle VM VirtualBox has a menu item Insert Guest Additions CD Image, which mounts the Guest Additions ISO file inside your virtual machine.
ariana wrote:however, when I try to change windows to extend mode it gives me the error
Extend the windows to what exactly?
00:00:00.706764 MonitorCount <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
You've only set up a single monitor for your VM, no kidding it can't extend to a 2nd one, there's nothing to extend to...

BTW, I don't think I've ever tried this with a projector, I'm not sure how exactly Windows detects if it's a projector or a 2nd monitor. And I don't recall this being discussed here before. But I would definitely start with a 2nd virtual monitor.
ariana wrote:Here's an image of the error: (imgur, cuz cant post urls yet)
  1. That image doesn't exist.
  2. You should attach the image locally in your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form). Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites. Plus, it's more convenient if the image goes along with the message...
BTW, you ZIPPED the .vbox, why not the same for the VBox.log? It helps you, it helps us, it helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ariana

Post by ariana »

Hi,
I've updated virtualbox and used the GA from the vbox insallation, though it still produces the same error.
It should be something like https://thewindowsclub-thewindowsclubco ... t-Menu.png
but it appears like
Screenshot from 2019-02-22 08-49-18.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-22 08-49-18.png (22.53 KiB) Viewed 2134 times
Attachments
vbox.zip
(2.05 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

As I mentioned before:
socratis wrote:You've only set up a single monitor for your VM, no kidding it can't extend to a 2nd one, there's nothing to extend to...
You need to go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen » Monitor Count: 2.

Then you configure that 2nd virtual monitor from within your guest, and you use the Extend feature. If you only have 1 virtual monitor, where exactly are you going to extend it to.

You got to remember that a virtual machine does not know what your physical machine looks like, or what peripherals it has available. For good reasons...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ariana

Post by ariana »

Oh whoops didn't realize that, thanks, it works now :D
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].