Disk image file not accessible

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
JMA92410
Primary OS: Ubuntu 12.12
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows

Disk image file not accessible

Post by JMA92410 »

Hello dear Virtualbox / Linux experts !

I have two Windows VM (Win7 an Win10) running on a Ubuntu 16.04.3 host (Kubuntu)
When I start VirtualBox, I get a message which states the following :
One or more disk image files are not currently accessible. As a result, you will not be able to operate virtual machines which use these files until they become accessible later.
Press Check to open the Virtual Media Manager window and see which files are inaccessible, or press Ignore to ignore this message

I have found the following workaround : before starting VirtualBox, I run Dolphin and just select the corresponding drive so that its content is displayed. That is enough, after that I close Dolphin, run VirtualBox and I do not get this message any more, and my drive is available within my virtual machines.

Is there anything that can be done so that my drive is directly accessible ?

Thank you !

Jean-Marie
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Disk image file not accessible

Post by socratis »

How about following the instructions on the message? Did you try that approach? Going to the Virtual Media Manager and seeing what's missing?

And where's your drive, it's not local?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JMA92410

Post by JMA92410 »

yes, I have followed the instructions on the message, it opens up the Virtual Media Manager and selects the drive concerned. That is no surprise, I know precisely which drive it is.The Media manager itself does not give much information. The drive is on a local HDD. It is of type "Normal" (Attributes tab). It is a Dynamically allocated storage.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The big question is: is it in use by any VM or not?
VirtualBox complains if a medium is missing, it's just a warning. You have the option to never show it again, there's a checkbox right on the dialog.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JMA92410

Post by JMA92410 »

yes the drive is in use by my VMs
If I do not select the drive in Dolfin before running VirtualBox, I get the error message and after that, inside de VM, the drive is not accessible indeed
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You can't share disk images. In the real world disk drives cannot be installed in two PCs at the same time, so the OS has no mechanism to cope with such a thing.

If the disk image is mapped to more than one VM, only one can be running all the rest must be shut down (and suspended is not shut down).