Virtualbox inside another virtualbox is not possible ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
ranchupanchu

Virtualbox inside another virtualbox is not possible ?

Post by ranchupanchu »

Hello,

I try to run virtualbox with linux inside another virtualbox guest Linux on a windows machine.

I have installed virtualbox on the Linux guest but I than get the following error:
" The hardware virtualization is enabled in the acceleration section of the system page although it is not supported by the host system. It should be disabled in order to start the virtual system"

I then tried to remove the setting of of acceleration VT-x, but then I get another setting error:
"The virtual machine operating system hint is set to a 64-bit type. 64-bit guest systems require hardware virtualization, so this will be enabled automatically if you confirm the changes"

Isn't it possible to run such configuration ? (Linux guest inside another Linux guest Linux on a windows machine)

Thanks,
ranran
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtualbox inside another virtualbox is not possible ?

Post by socratis »

Nested virtualization became a reality just with version 6.0.0. At this moment it's only doable with AMD CPUs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.