Error installing extension pack

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
dgodfrey

Error installing extension pack

Post by dgodfrey »

I downloaded VirtualBox 6.0.4 and I downloaded the latest extension pack. This is the error I get when I try to install it:

Code: Select all

Failed to load the main module ('/usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.so'): VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND - /usr/lib/virtualbox/ExtensionPacks/Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack/linux.amd64/VBoxPuelMain.so: 
undefined symbol: _ZNK16RTCRestArrayBase9baseCloneEv.
This is in the Details window

Code: Select all

Result Code: 
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component: 
ExtPackManagerWrap
Interface: 
IExtPackManager {edba9d10-45d8-b440-1712-46ac0c9bc4c5}
I was searching around and found some people getting an error similar to mine, but the problem was that they were installing an Extension pack that was incompatible with the version of VirtualBox they had. In my case both the Extension Pack file and VirtualBox deb file that I downloaded both say "6.0.4" on it, indicating that they should be compatible. The strange thing, however, is in VirtualBox when I go to Help > About VirtualBox I see that it says
VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.2.18_Ubuntu r123745
It says 5.2.18. How can that be?
dgodfrey

Re: Error installing extension pack

Post by dgodfrey »

Update. It turns out the two were incompatible. I was able to solve this by searching for the correct extension pack. I went to Googled "virtualbox 5.2.18 extension pack" went to the first link, scrolled down to VirtualBox 5.2.18 and selected the Extension Pack.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

dgodfrey wrote:VirtualBox Graphical User Interface Version 5.2.18_Ubuntu r123745
This is the Ubuntu tribute band version of VirtualBox (a.k.a. a fork). This is something that you will have installed directly from the Ubuntu repos. v5.2.18 is getting a bit old now so the recommendation would be to purge that and install either v5.2.26 or v6.0.4 from the official VirtualBox repo and install the matching ExtPack.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The extension pack and the Guest Additions are completely independant features.

It's very simple: the extension pack is a plugin pack for the host. It extends the feature set of VirtualBox itself and affects all VMs at once.

The Guest Additions - and the name is a bloody big clue here - is a bunch of drivers etc which you install in each guest to improve co-operation with the host software. You have the guest additions from the 5.2.18 Ubuntu VBox fork installed.

Since these are installed separately - by users - there is every reason to expect that their versions will diverge, or even be for the wrong software entirely.