[Solved] Shared folders linux host win7 guest.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
zimbodel

[Solved] Shared folders linux host win7 guest.

Post by zimbodel »

[SOLVED]
On linux host
$]apt install sshfs
On windows guest, install both
https://github.com/billziss-gh/winfsp/r ... .19016.msi and https://github.com/billziss-gh/sshfs-wi ... 34-x64.msi
Download the 32/64bit versions you need for your system.
In MyComputer => MapNetworkDrive
Enter the following in volume field
\\sshfs\Bozo@192.168.1.254
where Bozo is your username on Linux host you want to make visible from windows and the ip address is the ip address of the linux host.
Check the "Use alternate" box.
It will then ask for your linux host username and password. After which it connects and you find the useraccount files under myComputer in the navigation pane. The files will all be read only, but you can set it with fuse. You can also just make a subdirectory visible appending with
:directory in the string.

Do similar for usernames and addresses of other linux servers on the network as needed.
Way more secure than samba.

--------------Original Message---------------------------
I have win7Pro/32 guest on virtualbox/64 as host.
One of the last outstanding problems is to get access from my Win guest to my NFS volumes on the host.

Samba somehow didnt work so I dont go that way even though windows machines can use samba on the network, virtualbox has a problem with samba it seems

Questions
1) Is there a native way to access NFS volumes from within windows guest without using samba?
2) I tried setting up an NFS volume in the shared folders of the virtual machine and specified a drive letter, but the win guest did not recognize the virtualbox shared folder. Anyone got direct access to NFS folders of the linux host ?

thanks.
Last edited by zimbodel on 2. Feb 2019, 01:13, edited 5 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Shared folders linux host win7 guest.

Post by mpack »

You have two options: GA shared folders or Windows file sharing.

GA shared folders don't use a network, therefore they don't use Samba. However, functionality is limited: it's good for copying files in and out.

The Windows file sharing protocol is called SMB, there are several variants of it introduced over the Windows generations. Samba is an implementation of Windows file sharing for Linux. Therefore if you want a proper network share with Windows then you must use Samba (actually you can also use e.g. UPnP, but that's only for media streaming). Or you could use some other Linux implementation of SMBx.

I suggest you find out why Samba isn't working for you, since it seems to be the standard Linux SMB implementation.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

As mpack said, Samba is probably your best way forward. If you do want to use NFS on Windows...

I believe that the Microsoft NFS Client was only available in the Enterprise version of Windows 7. For your Windows 7 Professional installation you would have to use a third-party solution or the Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX. Google will be your friend to help you find what you need.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
zimbodel

Post by zimbodel »

I have no problem to configure samba. I have several windows clients using my samba shares on linux servers.
It is just that samba doesnt work with virtualbox IMO.
You are right about nfs not available on windows 7 Pro.
I already tried all the nfs windows options out there and they did not work.

I also tried the sshfs options, which will work once I figured out a windows problem.
It seems sshfs is the only real viable way to go.
Way more secure than samba anyway.
zimbodel

Post by zimbodel »

[SOLVED]
This is how I solved it without using unsecure samba and other fidgity configware.

I looked for SSH options

On linux host
$]apt install sshfs

On windows guest, install both
https://github.com/billziss-gh/winfsp/r ... .19016.msi
and
https://github.com/billziss-gh/sshfs-wi ... 34-x64.msi
Download the 32/64bit versions you need for your system.

I MyComputer => MapNetworkDrive
Enter the following in volume field
\\sshfs\Bozo@192.168.1.254
where Bozo is your username on Linux host you want to make visible from windows
and the ip address is the ip address of the linux host.
Check the "Use alternate" box.
It will then ask for your linux host username and password.
After which it connects and you find the useraccount files under myComputer in the navigation pane.
The files will all be read only, but you can set it with fuse. You can also just make a subdirectory visible appending with
:directory in the string.

Do similar for usernames and addresses of other linux servers on the network as needed.
Way more secure than samba.