Quicken in Virtual Box

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
Quarry Creek

Quicken in Virtual Box

Post by Quarry Creek »

My current setup is
Computer: HP: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz × 2
Graphics: Intel® Q45/Q43
Gnome: 3.28.2

Host: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64 bit
Windows XP SP3 32 bit
Guest Additions added
"Documents" folder on Ubuntu is a shared folder on the XP Guest

Virtualbox Version 5.2.18_Ubuntu r123745

I've been using this setup since I upgraded from 16.04 to 18.04 and have had almost no problems. However, I recently have tried installing the older quicken programs I have and all of them have the same problem. I've tried Quicken 6; Quicken 98; Quicken 2000 and Quicken 2004. I was trying to use one of these older quicken programs because I just wanted basic checkbook for my church's finances. I don't need or want any online banking, etc, and quicken 6 and 98 are pretty simple to use.

All of these have shown the same problem. When I try to input data into the check register. Something periodically (about every 15-20 seconds) updates/refreshes or something, deletes any unsaved typing and refocuses on the date of the register entry. There are no error messages and when watching the the TaskManager under DOS it appears that quicken is making some sort of "check" or adjustment about every 15-20 seconds.

This problem hasn't occurred with any other software I've run under the guest, nor did it ever appear when I originally used these quicken versions under an old XP machine.

I've searched this forum and on the web, but have not found anything discussing this problem. I've adjusted all of the quicken options to different configurations and none have had affected the behavior. I don't know if this is a virtual box issue or if there is a setting that can be adjusted in virtual box, quicken, or guest additions that would remedy this issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Quicken in Virtual Box

Post by mpack »

I'd be surprised if anyone here can help you with that, as it doesn't sound like any VirtualBox problem I've ever heard of. You need to find a Quicken forum where you might find advice about what it's doing.

p.s., VirtualBox...._Ubuntu is not VirtualBox. It's a fork created by the Ubuntu people. If you wanted support here you'd have to switch to VirtualBox.
Quarry Creek

Post by Quarry Creek »

I was afraid that was likely the case. I'm pretty sure its a quicken issue but was just hoping someone here was using Virtualbox to run the old versions of quicken that may have some information on this problem.
vitaly9
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian 9, Windows 7

Post by vitaly9 »

I have the same situation with Quicken 2010 Home and Business R1
I used it on Parallels VM well, but bucking up data and coping it to the fresh VirtualBox VM doesn't make me possible not open the Quicken file nor restoring from backup.
Quicken shows that it can do this with s short message and that's all.
Can't understand why, no problem with other software yet.