need the command to uninstall please

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
NeedHelpPlease

need the command to uninstall please

Post by NeedHelpPlease »

everything installed well and ran fine until I clicked start

Then I got one message:
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Mint.
And then another message:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv.
Please reinstall the kernel module by executing '/sbin/vboxconfig' as root.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.
I have spent way too much time on this
I have had enough - all I want is the terminal command to totally uninstall Virtualbox please
Last edited by socratis on 13. Jan 2019, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tags for better readability.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: need the command to uninstall please

Post by socratis »

NeedHelpPlease wrote:Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
That means that you didn't do something right during the installation, most probably you didn't download the official VirtualBox Linux Downloads, but the one from your distro's repository (which is a fork).

The command to uninstall a piece of software depends on the host. This is not a VirtualBox question I'm afraid, it's a question for your package manager.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NeedHelpPlease

Post by NeedHelpPlease »

I got it from virtualbox dot org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You still haven't told us your host OS. Complete details please...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
NeedHelpPlease

Post by NeedHelpPlease »

sorry - I thought this Linux host forum would be sufficient

I am running Ubuntu 18.04 on KDE desktop - can't think of more
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Linux is the kernel, it's not completely describing the whole situation. Did you notice how many packages there are in the Linux Downloads section, just to cover variations in the versions?

You got to choose carefully what your distro is, and what your version is. Did you select, download and tried to install the correct version? For your 18.04 Ubuntu for example, you should select the https://download.virtualbox.org/virtual ... _amd64.deb one.

As for completely uninstalling packages, if I'm not mistaken, in Ubuntu the command would be:
  • 
    sudo apt-get purge virtualbox*
and then install the package above.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

In case helpful,

Three reasons for preferring 'apt' over 'apt-get'
  1. With 'apt' you get a nice progress bar while performing operations
  2. Some distributions (such as Linux Mint editions) can use 'apt' without needing 'sudo apt...' (Note: trying just 'apt-get' won't work, and still requires 'sudo apt-get').
  3. Commands appear slightly less complex, and a little easier to remember, especially considering point 2.
- Example of last two points

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox*

Code: Select all

apt purge virtaulbox*
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Dave B wrote:Some distributions (such as Linux Mint editions) can use 'apt' without needing 'sudo apt
Not a VirtualBox issue, but... I wouldn't let a distro anywhere near a system, physical or virtual, where regular users can run the package management tools. Even on a single user system having a separation between user and root gives an additional level of chaos prevention! What next, allowing users to "rm -rf /"?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

andyp73 wrote:I wouldn't let a distro anywhere near a system, physical or virtual, where regular users can run the package management tools
+1.
That's a really scary option! I can see "malware" potential written all over it! User-scripts that can modify the core installed software? :o :shock:
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Ah, no! Can see I explained the implementation badly. :) Using 'apt' as described above still requires entering a password, same as using 'sudo apt', it just provides the convenience of shorter commands.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Ah, OK (heart returns back to its normal place).

Still, I prefer to give the instructions for the command as "sudo apt-get". It may save a few characters, but it works on every distro that has apt-get, I don't have to search if it's this or that distro and this or that version... ;)
glwardlaw

Post by glwardlaw »

I used Apper (Software Management) to update packages and all is well. I had spent about 8 hrs. chasing this as well. Problem Solved.