App Development on Windows guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
jsimmonstx
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Win7, Lubuntu 18.04

App Development on Windows guest

Post by jsimmonstx »

I'm on Linux Mint 19
Using VirtualBox 5.2.22 r126460
Guest is Windows 7

I'm trying to use Visual Studio 2017 on the Windows guest. The project files exist on a host share. I can write and compile code, but when I try to run it, I get an error saying:

Error while trying to run project: Unable to start program ""\\Mars\nvme\dev\solutionfolder\projectfolder\bin\Debug\app.exe".
Access is denied.

I'm pretty this isn't a VB problem, but since it's a VB Windows guest, I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: App Development on Windows guest

Post by socratis »

jsimmonstx wrote:The project files exist on a host share.
Windows share, or VirtualBox Shared Folder?
jsimmonstx wrote:I'm pretty this isn't a VB problem
It is an issue because of the combination of networked folders and the UAC mechanism in Windows. Here's a small part of a larger article (that I've never polished enough to post) that was dealing with the issue:
Notes
  • If you run "<TheProgram>.exe" from a VirtualBox share that is not mapped (does not a drive letter assigned), you get the following error:
    Unable to assign a drive letter
    to the script path \\VBoxSvr\Share\sub
  • If you run "<TheProgram>.exe" from a VirtualBox share that is mapped (has a drive letter assigned), you get the following error:
    W:\Share\<TheProgram>.exe
    The specified path does not exist.
    Check the path and then try again.
Solutions
  1. Disable UAC control temporarily. Then run "<TheProgram>.exe" from a mapped share. You can turn off the network if you don't feel protected enough.
  2. Copy the whole "Share\Sub" sub-directory in the VM and run "<TheProgram>.exe" from there.
Explanation
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.