Debian Stretch 9.0 + Guest Additions 5.2.22 Issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
motorious
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows7, Ubuntu 14.04 & 15.04

Debian Stretch 9.0 + Guest Additions 5.2.22 Issue

Post by motorious »

Has anyone else had an issue where after installing the Guest Additions the guest will not respond to keyboard or mouse inputs at the login screen?

I am running headless guests on a remote server accessing the guests on local LAN using RDP protocol and a non-standard port (e.g. 12345 vs 3389)

I am also using phpvirtualbox (master) to get a GUI of VBoxManage, if that's relevant at all.

I isolated to the guest additions by building a new guest from scratch then installing the guest additions and rebooting. The login screen takes a long time to load and when it does it will not respond (at least graphically) to any keystrokes or mouse clicks.

I hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 and am able to login via a shell, I then removed the guest additions, rebooted and all was well at the login screen. Never had any issues with guest additions before so I'm a bit perplexed...

TIA!
"In a world with no walls or fences; who needs Gates and Windows?"
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Debian Stretch 9.0 + Guest Additions 5.2.22 Issue

Post by socratis »

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
motorious
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows7, Ubuntu 14.04 & 15.04

Post by motorious »

VBox.zip
(24.27 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Log uploaded, thanks for the help. Hopefully you can see something that I can't.
"In a world with no walls or fences; who needs Gates and Windows?"
war

Post by war »

I experience this on a Ubuntu 18.04.2 box with Windows 10 guest OS

The guest works fine on a Ubuntu 18.10 workstation (accessing it over the local GUI)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

war wrote:I experience this on a Ubuntu 18.04.2 box with Windows 10 guest OS
What is "this"? What are you experiencing? And are you RDPing into the VM? Otherwise why mention the local GUI in the 2nd sentence?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.