Unable to merge storage.Not enough free storage.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
hack3rcon

Unable to merge storage.Not enough free storage.

Post by hack3rcon »

Hello.
I'm using VirtualBox 6.0.0 and when I want to delete a Snapshot then it tell me "Not enough free storage space.", How can I solve it?

Thank you.
Attachments
Screenshot-VirtualBox - Error.png
Screenshot-VirtualBox - Error.png (26.36 KiB) Viewed 5073 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to merge storage.Not enough free storage.

Post by socratis »

Free some space on your hard drive?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

socratis wrote:Free some space on your hard drive?
Yes. Almost 20GB.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Maybe it's not enough, 20 GB means absolutely nothing if I don't know how big your snapshots are, how many changes have happened between snapshots, how big is the theoretical VDI size. And even then, the problem is that you can't tell how much space is required beforehand...

Apparently 20 GB is not enough, you need to free some more...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

How can I see the size of Snapshot?
Last edited by socratis on 7. Jan 2019, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Go to File » Virtual Media Manager » Hard Disks. Locate your VDI, and expand its arrow on the left of its name to show the snapshot. The size is right there.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

socratis wrote:Go to File » Virtual Media Manager » Hard Disks. Locate your VDI, and expand its arrow on the left of its name to show the snapshot. The size is right there.
It was 50.X GB and I removed it and VM backed to the first time. Can I recover snapshot?
I used "testdisk" for recover it but the recovered file is just 10.5 K :(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

hack3rcon wrote:I removed it ... Can I recover snapshot?
Did you just delete a snapshot and now you want to recover it? :shock:

Forget it. Bye, bye snapshot...
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm confused - what does it mean to "remove" a snapshot? AFAIK (given that I never use snapshots) none of the snapshot operations is called "Remove".

Deleting a snapshot using the UI should be harmless. Only the marker is removed, no data is lost. However this requires working disk space to merge disk fragments, and would have been the cause of the originally reported error.

If "remove" meant deleting the file using the host OS then the VM would not start. Does not match what was described so can't be this.

If "remove" means "revert" then the VM has been reset to the moment the selected snapshot marker was created. Any data created since that moment is lost, except of course from that backup which you sensibly made when problems first started appearing.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

socratis wrote:Did you just delete a snapshot and now you want to recover it? :shock:

Forget it. Bye, bye snapshot...
Thus, recovery is impossible.
hack3rcon

Post by hack3rcon »

mpack wrote:I'm confused - what does it mean to "remove" a snapshot? AFAIK (given that I never use snapshots) none of the snapshot operations is called "Remove".
If "remove" means "revert" then the VM has been reset to the moment the selected snapshot marker was created. Any data created since that moment is lost, except of course from that backup which you sensibly made when problems first started appearing.
I mean is "revert".